The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

LeeLee said...
Feb. 15, 2009 at 8:47 pm:
That was amazing. =]

Nellie C. said...
Feb. 15, 2009 at 8:44 pm:
great job

Gigi said...
Feb. 16, 2009 at 4:44 am:
I really love your writing I hope you get to write a novel one day cause, I would so buy it and it would have very creative writing in it.I hope I can find a Mark some day.If that's your real relationship then hold on to him it sounds like y'all are a great couple.

Emily123 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 16, 2009 at 4:05 am:
I totally wish I had thought of this! Nice work :-)

refandrews said...
Feb. 16, 2009 at 2:20 am:
woah!!

HBCdance said...
Feb. 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm:
I loved it! IT was so romantic and perfect and sweet and just GREAT! I liked to color theme, andthe part that read: “Your secret admirer, Mark.” Wonderful job!

Krissy G. said...
Feb. 6, 2009 at 3:27 pm:
this just shows the true powers of colors and the memories we make with them... really sweet :D

missbrittany said...
Jan. 29, 2009 at 2:34 am:
you've posted this other places, haven't you?
i've read this before. it's very cute, creative, and well-written.

tnmebd1 said...
Cute...sweet and short but that was all it needed.

Word Angel said...
Dec. 24, 2008 at 4:34 am:
It is really romantic!

musiclover 71 said...
this was so awesome. colors can mean so much. =D

Sara04 said...
Dec. 11, 2008 at 2:49 am:
I love how through all the colors of the rainbow your love would get stronger like it started off as a timid love and then it just grew from there. AMAZING!!

lpg77 said...
yeah...kinda corny, and cheesy....

twilightrox#1 said...
I loved the way you used the colors of the rainbow to describe fun times you had with "him".

deathizmyfrend13 said...
Dec. 2, 2008 at 3:16 am:
This amuhzing! I could totally relate to some of this. Lovely. :)

b33ki said...
i loved the discription! keep writing, i hope everyone can find a boy that they can discribe their love with the colors of life

alicenovember said...
that is sooo sweet it was so deep and u could tell there was true meaning behind this not sumthing silly

Amber said...
Dec. 4, 2008 at 3:12 am:
That was cute. I love how you weaved the way the character (Was it based off of you?) felt into the colors of the rainbow. Very creatvie and 'colorful'. Hah

IrishDancer said...
Dec. 5, 2008 at 12:10 am:
wow, i think this is such a sweet piece. it portrays love so beautifully and honestly. and it's not a sex desire love, it's an innocent deep true love willing to wait.

Gorrillas4u said...
nice work. too bad i cant get something like that.......