The Colors of Love | Teen Ink

The Colors of Love MAG

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

on Oct. 2 2009 at 8:27 pm
writersheart DIAMOND, B., California
this was absolutely amazing.

on Oct. 2 2009 at 4:13 pm
wordweaver96 PLATINUM, Winchester, Kentucky

" It is not our abilities but our choices that show who we truly are. "
Albus Dumbledore

See, we really DON'T have anything to fear but fear itself!

wow i love this.

on Oct. 2 2009 at 1:42 pm
Fredwardness SILVER, Romeo, Michigan

"The stars are blazing like rebel diamonds cut out of the sun" -The Killers (Read My Mind)

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -George Harrison

lol cute!! =P

SimplyA GOLD said...
on Oct. 2 2009 at 1:12 pm
SimplyA GOLD, Marshalltown, Iowa

"You know you've got it, if it makes you feel good." -Janice Joplin

This is a great article. Please write more!

on Oct. 2 2009 at 8:34 am
dylonmichael GOLD, El Dorado, Kansas

i have two one is "live life as if it were your last day on earth" and two is "never make some one your everything because when they leave you you have nothing"

awwwwwwwww i love it its so cute and sweet keep up the good work your a great writer teeheee love it =)

on Oct. 2 2009 at 1:21 am
Kitten111 SILVER, Watanobbi, Other

Knowledge is knowing that tomato is a fruit ..... wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad :P

awwww thats so cute ...... if i could find a guy like that ..........HAPPY SIGH......... u got daydreaming again lol ......your a really good writer so keep it up :)

ting said...
on Aug. 13 2009 at 5:46 pm
this really touched me. if only i can find a guy that sweet, or even get into a relationship that blissful. this piece is by far the best i've read. very impressive. =)

on Jul. 15 2009 at 8:33 pm
Mackenzie R BRONZE, Fort Wayne, Indiana
That is beautiful

on Jul. 15 2009 at 7:29 pm
AznxAngel SILVER, Yonkers, New York
Its so adorable. Awww if only my boyfriend was like that!! Haha. (if he sees this, Im kidding, Aar, love you<3)

on Jul. 15 2009 at 2:51 pm
kiwi12 PLATINUM, Austin, Texas
I adore this! This is absolutely amazing, I could just read this over and over again and not get tired of it.

on Jul. 15 2009 at 1:11 am
LoveLikeWoe DIAMOND, LeSueur, MN, Minnesota

Whoever laughs first has the sickest mind.

wow. That is beautiful. And a long scroll to the bottom. How many comments do you HAVE? probably about a hundred! This is amazing!

on Jul. 15 2009 at 12:13 am
Simplygraceful GOLD, Omaha, Nebraska
i love this piece i love how you portrayed the different colors

on Jun. 16 2009 at 7:20 pm
french.masterpiece BRONZE, Santa Fe, New Mexico

"When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and watch them wonder how you did it."
-Anonymous

Wow. That's just about all I can say. This piece is amazing, so sweet and a little bit humorous, but only in the spots you wanted it to be. Is Mark real, or a fictionalized character? I wonder...

on May. 26 2009 at 5:33 pm
Julie Cole BRONZE, Davisburg, Michigan
This piece was lovely, its one that you want to read again, it agrees with the reader continuously, your flow was perfect, I loved it.

on May. 24 2009 at 7:21 pm
Madeline PLATINUM, Lake View Terrace, California

If you always see the positive, you'll never see the negative.

OMG I loved it.

CutiePie6462 said...
on May. 21 2009 at 2:05 pm
This is one of my favorite ones. It is soooo good. I love this. Please keep writing more. :}

MarcyKnows15 said...
on May. 20 2009 at 2:59 am
This is really nice. I like the way you went through the color and the way you ended it was nice

on May. 19 2009 at 9:24 pm
bcookie PLATINUM, Ashville, Ohio

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

oh, WOW! I've read a lot of stories on here and this is by FAR the BEST! Great job! I LOVE how you ended it! It rocks!

on May. 19 2009 at 3:12 pm
ArleneNicole BRONZE, Porter, Texas

"You read too much!" Balbulus was always saying. But what was she to do? Without words she would die, she'd simply die.
-Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke

Great piece of work! I like all of the different situations with the different colors. Awesome idea!

on May. 19 2009 at 1:33 pm
this was so adorable!

i loved it.