The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

MarcyKnows15 said...
May 20, 2009 at 2:59 am
This is really nice. I like the way you went through the color and the way you ended it was nice

luvtwilight said...
oh, WOW! I've read a lot of stories on here and this is by FAR the BEST! Great job! I LOVE how you ended it! It rocks!

Nicole said...
Great piece of work! I like all of the different situations with the different colors. Awesome idea!

ashley_eli2010 said...
this was so adorable!
i loved it.

READ*WRITE*LOVE*GREEN said...
LOVE IT!! But I'm kinda jealous that you beat me to it. I'd thought I had the awesome idea for a poem, so original, you know, to say the different colours of love and my love. ARGH! Still, it's an amazing story, I absolutley adore it!

StarrixSunshine said...
BEST PIECE EVER! I love it. It was amazingly beautiful and very romantic. Mind reading my pieces and rating them?
=]

-Jess-
xoxo

megan39 said...
omg wow, this was truley amazing

BriarRose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aww, that was awesom. It was very well-written

Ashleigh N. said...
loved it...
nice one!

Melinda L. said...
Apr. 6, 2009 at 2:57 am
wow, you have SO MANY comments on this. anyway, I loved this. it was so neat how you used all the colors of the rainbow.
~MELINDA~

tess Z. said...
Apr. 5, 2009 at 1:49 am
so cute!

YeseniaG said...
Extremely creative and adorable.

charr maine said...
This was so creative. ENJOYED reading it:)

keep writing moreee!

Rashel said...
Mar. 27, 2009 at 5:05 am
Loved that your really good

Chicken--Pie said...
Yes! It had a happy ending! I LOVE happy endings. I've got used to depressing endings by now and I was just waiting for it to go bitter (I guess that's what you get for reading too many classics at once :P) It was so short and sweet and cute but I wanted more!
And *sigh* how romantic!!!

Nelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 28, 2009 at 10:09 am
So romantic. I loved it :)

holly B. said...
Feb. 19, 2009 at 1:06 am
wow i wish i would have came up with something his goo dits very touching i hope i find a mark like this some day and u divers one to for writing that it was very touching

Drew E. said...
That was really cute and sweet. I thought it was really stupid when I first read it but when I got to the end it really touched me. Great job!

vampin said...
OH MY GOD I loved it, it was so original and it totally reminded me of the romance i totally want one day!

i_luv_Edward_Cullen<3 said...
this is one of the best pieces i have eva read!!!! its amazazazing! i loved it!!