The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

live.love. said...
Oct. 24, 2009 at 8:12 am:
wow i love the colors and the description is amazing...well done:D

EmmaXoxo<3 said...
Oct. 24, 2009 at 7:12 am:
The whole creative idea is really good!!!
Keep writing!!
very cute ;)

shywriter said...
Oct. 24, 2009 at 5:12 am:
Wow. This was amazing. I loved how you combined your relationship with the colors of the rainbow and made sense of it.
Btw the barf incident was really funny =P

Mylifeforpoetry said...
OMG, this is so good. I really like your style and the whole thing is soo cute

writersheart said...
this was absolutely amazing.

writer24/7/365 said...
wow i love this.

Fredwardness said...
lol cute!! =P

Annalisa said...
This is a great article. Please write more!

dylonmichael said...
Oct. 2, 2009 at 8:34 am:
awwwwwwwww i love it its so cute and sweet keep up the good work your a great writer teeheee love it =)

Kitten111 said...
Oct. 2, 2009 at 1:21 am:
awwww thats so cute ...... if i could find a guy like that ..........HAPPY SIGH......... u got daydreaming again lol ......your a really good writer so keep it up :)

ting said...
this really touched me. if only i can find a guy that sweet, or even get into a relationship that blissful. this piece is by far the best i've read. very impressive. =)

Mackenzie R. said...
Jul. 15, 2009 at 8:33 pm:
That is beautiful

AznxAngel said...
Jul. 15, 2009 at 7:29 pm:
Its so adorable. Awww if only my boyfriend was like that!! Haha. (if he sees this, Im kidding, Aar, love you<3)

kiwi12 said...
Jul. 15, 2009 at 2:51 pm:
I adore this! This is absolutely amazing, I could just read this over and over again and not get tired of it.

His-Bright-Green-Eyes... said...
Jul. 15, 2009 at 1:11 am:
wow. That is beautiful. And a long scroll to the bottom. How many comments do you HAVE? probably about a hundred! This is amazing!

Grace B. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 15, 2009 at 12:13 am:
i love this piece i love how you portrayed the different colors

Sofia said...
Jun. 16, 2009 at 7:20 pm:
Wow. That's just about all I can say. This piece is amazing, so sweet and a little bit humorous, but only in the spots you wanted it to be. Is Mark real, or a fictionalized character? I wonder...

Julie C. said...
May 26, 2009 at 5:33 pm:
This piece was lovely, its one that you want to read again, it agrees with the reader continuously, your flow was perfect, I loved it.

Madeline said...
May 24, 2009 at 7:21 pm:
OMG I loved it.

CutiePie6462 said...
May 21, 2009 at 2:05 pm:
This is one of my favorite ones. It is soooo good. I love this. Please keep writing more. :}