The Colors of Love | Teen Ink

The Colors of Love MAG

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

on May. 22 2018 at 8:41 pm
Artistic_Geek_Roo_10 SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Happiness can be found in the darkest of places, but only if one remembers to turn on the light."
Albus Dumbledore

The way this was written truly captivated the idea you had focused on, and it was excellent. You definitely have talent.

This is great. Excellent. I love it.

very nice... i liked it

on Oct. 29 2016 at 9:55 am
gayatrielliot BRONZE, Delhi , Other

"The autumn leaves are a riot of color. They remind us of the good, colorful things, and their crunch beneath our shoes also bids adieu to all bad things that have long gone,"

Simply amazing. U r really very talented! Pls check out my work as well

on Jul. 10 2016 at 8:11 am
ethereal_dar GOLD, Manila, Other
beautiful, theres nothing more than i could say but a word 'beautiful' would really fits in your work

dpurdy said...
on Apr. 13 2016 at 12:13 pm
dpurdy, Craryville Ny, New York

always love yourself no matter what.

i love it it was beatiful

dpurdy said...
on Mar. 22 2016 at 12:19 pm
dpurdy, Craryville Ny, New York

always love yourself no matter what.

i love this story

on Dec. 3 2015 at 9:27 am
SomeoneOnTheInterWeb BRONZE, Warsaw, Indiana

Writing is my drug, so let me get high

A Beauty, hope to see more like this on teen ink

on Nov. 13 2015 at 4:40 pm
ScarletCity PLATINUM, High Ridge, Missouri

Anything that can be done, can be undone. ~Scarlet City
http://eepurl.com/dcyZMn

Beautiful. I love the way that it was realistic- not super unrealistically poetic.

on Nov. 12 2015 at 9:08 am
WanderingCoyote BRONZE, Liberty, Missouri

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it." -Steve Irwin

The connection of colors with love just pulled me in. This is truly a brilliant work.

HuntShot732 said...
on Nov. 11 2015 at 9:29 pm
HuntShot732, Thornton, Colorado
This was amazing. I love the symbolism in it and the sweetness of it all.

Kourts said...
on Nov. 11 2015 at 9:22 am
This is a great article...however the "E" in the picture is actually a "W" on its side, not an "E" :S

on Oct. 20 2015 at 7:23 am
LittleRedDeliriousPrince SILVER, Parma Heights, Ohio
Incredibly sweet and beautiful. I loved everything about it, especially the symbolism.

on Jan. 29 2015 at 4:36 pm
RedHadan BRONZE, New York, New York

Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find her way by moonlight, and her punishment is that she sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

This was incredibly sweet! Good job!

BellaCharlie said...
on Jul. 10 2012 at 3:25 pm
BellaCharlie, Osler, Other

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!
-Audrey Hepburn

Awesome writing! You compared a lot of things and enhanced the mental picture my mind created. The way you grabbed the reader's attention was really good as well. 

bluhs said...
on May. 5 2012 at 10:37 pm
bluhs, E, Alabama
Beautiful. A wonderful romance.

on May. 5 2012 at 9:21 pm
corazon.de.cielo, Billings, Montana
I absolutely loved this story! I'm a huge fan of colors and their roles in stories and you nailed that in this one. Keep writing, please!

on Apr. 13 2012 at 3:27 am
hihihihihhihi, Mililani, Hawaii
that was so beautiful. i wish everyday could be that colorful

kyrireese GOLD said...
on Mar. 22 2012 at 12:04 pm
kyrireese GOLD, Dallas, Texas

"Everything will absolutely be all right."
"Hold fast to dreams." - Langston Hughes

The imagery ruled this article. I love it.

mollyb SILVER said...
on Mar. 22 2012 at 10:57 am
mollyb SILVER, North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania

"I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday."

This is amazing! Great work, I loved it!