The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

BellaCharlieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm:
Awesome writing! You compared a lot of things and enhanced the mental picture my mind created. The way you grabbed the reader's attention was really good as well. 

Aduke9This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 5, 2012 at 10:37 pm:
Beautiful. A wonderful romance.

corazon.de.cielo said...
May 5, 2012 at 9:21 pm:
I absolutely loved this story! I'm a huge fan of colors and their roles in stories and you nailed that in this one. Keep writing, please!

polkaolkadots said...
Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:27 am:
that was so beautiful. i wish everyday could be that colorful

Tori W. said...
Mar. 22, 2012 at 12:04 pm:
The imagery ruled this article. I love it.

mollyb said...
Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:57 am:
This is amazing! Great work, I loved it!

Pixie chic said...
Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:19 am:
This is beautiful and sweet! Nice job.

StandStrongThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm:
This is beautiful(:

otherpoet said...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 6:13 pm:
This made me smile, so sweet, so touching, great job!

aem312 said...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 5:40 pm:
I really like this. The concept was beautiful. I loved the colors.

james14 said...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 2:14 pm:
This is so gorgeous!!!!!!!!!! Keep writing!

james14 replied...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 2:15 pm :
I also LOVE the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lillie M. said...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 7:28 am:
That's gorgeous and such a beautiful way of describing love. . .

DinaTheDinasaur said...
I'm really not a fan of romance but this was really well done!

Dakota_Love_LeFey said...
this story is so beautiful i love it

3mo_sw33ts replied...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 5:36 pm :
I agree:) It made me smile as I imagined a young couple truly in love:) It filled my cheeks with warmth and delight. Towards the end, I nearly began to cry. I was so sad....well...I suppose in a GOOD way if you know what I mean:)

Def_Leppard_fan120This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:21 am:
Come check out my profile and read my articles when you can comment on what you thought about the story. Thank you for your time

brainiac said...

Awesome

monkeyfaceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm :
Ths is such a great touching and happy story adore it.

Kitty.Meow.DalyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:40 am:
Awww :) Happy endings <3