The Empty Turtle | Teen Ink

The Empty Turtle

October 17, 2010
By AlexieG. GOLD, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
AlexieG. GOLD, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
17 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not hide behind the image of who you wish to be, or you will lose sight of who you once were."


There was once an exquisite meadow where beautifully painted trees loomed overhead, lush grass soft as swan’s-down underfoot, and the soft babble of a nearby stream filled the land. Although this utopia was quite lovely and tranquil, there was a very shy turtle who never quite managed to fit in among the other jovial, chipper creatures. The turtle was isolated, confused, and much too timid to attempt befriending others. She was sure everyone resented her for who she was, therefore, the poor turtle forced herself to become someone all the other girls would want to be friends with. The turtle received the girls' friendships, but those girls had befriended an illusion, someone the turtle wished she could be. Then one day, the turtles only friend, had realized the change in her. The Sheltie dog was very patient and insightful. She realized the reason as to why the turtle was so different, and so she questioned, “Why change in order to make friends? Why become someone you know you are not? What good are those friends if they do not like your true self?” the turtle ignored the question, not seeing any point in becoming lonely again and so different from everyone else. The turtle carried on with her façade. But as she pretended to care about someone’s hair, care about their clothes, pretend to laugh at someone’s unamusing joke, pretend to care about the mall or worrying over being invited to a party, she found herself more fake, pathetic, and lonely than ever.

“Why am I always unable to fit in?” the empty turtle cried aloud. But there was no answer to her problems. Was it better to be an outsider and be herself and envy everyone who was surrounded by friends? Or be the one surrounded by friends but feel pitiful for not being herself?
Moral- “Do not hide behind the illusion of who you wish to be, or you will lose sight of who you once were.”

The author's comments:
I wrote this fable about myself. I seemed to never be able to fit in my school last year. All the girls disliked or often ignored me. I remember everyone being invited to someone's house or the mall on Fridays but I was never welcomed. I fit in with the boys much better, but still, it was very hard and lonely. I was just different. This year, I tried to be like all the other girls and laugh at everything people said or agree with them. Now, I have more friends an more girls like me. But I am trying to switch to my old self and see if those girls will be okay with still being my friends.