part of a book im writing | Teen Ink

part of a book im writing

By Isabella_999 SILVER, Westminster, Maryland
Isabella_999 SILVER, Westminster, Maryland

Never regret something that once made you smile. ~Unknown

I got up and turned my light and music on before going to the mirror.

“And good morning to you Emma.” I said to the mirror.

Months after he left me and he’s still one of the first things I think of when I wake up in the morning.

“What’s it going to be today Emma? Happy,” I smiled to the mirror. “Or miserable?” I stopped smiling and looked into my 5-hours-of-sleep eyes and knotted hair.

“A mix of both it’ll be.” I said to myself, getting out my makeup. I go brush my teeth in my bathroom and come back to change. I do my regular morning routine, get my school stuff and go out the door. I get into my mini cooper and drive the 4 miles to school. My friend Mike saw me and came over to walk with me. I knew he liked me but tried to ignore it.

“Hey”

“Hey” I said.

“You look gorgeous today.” Mike said, looking me over.

“Thanks.” I said blushing. I haven’t dated. At all. It wouldn’t be fair to the guy since I still love Andrew. It wouldn’t feel right either. By now we are in the school just around the corner of the hall my class is in.

“Anna, Jason, and I were talking about going to the movies this Saturday. Are you in?” Mike asked.

“Yeah, sure.”

“Sweet.” Mike took my hand as we walked and I took my hand out of his.

“What?”

“Mike, I don’t…I’m sorry if I made you think that that’s what I wanted. You know I’m not dating.”

“Yeah, you blush when I give you a compliment, you agree to go out with me,”

“No, Mike I agreed to go out with my friends. I’m sorry, I can’t do this.” I started walking.

“Well hey, at least I have balls and I know what I want!”

My mind tumbled back to last night. I was mad at one of my ex’s and had posted on Facebook that when I wind up dating again, to please ‘Lord give me a guy who has balls and knows what he wants’. I turned around and looked at Mike.

“I…” I couldn’t think of anything to say and turned around and started walking. I got around the corner and ran right into someone.

“I’m sorry.” I kept walking and turned around. As soon as I looked back at the person I ran into, I knew it was him. I started to say something and stopped. He was facing me now and looked straight at me with a pleading face.

“Yes, it’s me.”

“But…” I started.

“Andrew Dimitri James Jackson.” He said.

“What are you doing here?”

“I figured since I’m technically the right age I could pass off as a Junior here and maybe stay through next year.”

Let me stop and explain something to you right here. Andrew, the man I’m still in love with, the guy that left me, who is standing in front of me now, is a vampire. We were together for 9 months before he decided it was best for me if he left. He thought I should have a ‘normal life’. Who even knows what normal is? I have told him time and again that I don’t want a normal life. I don’t want these guys that like me, like Mike for example.

“Come with me.” I took his wrist and pulled him along behind me down the hallway. Halfway down the hallway and administrator stopped us.

“Do you know him?” He asked.

“Yes, from a while back.” I responded.

“Great, well since he’s new, why don’t you show him around the school?”

“All right.” I started pulling Andrew down the hallway again and the last bell rang. I pulled him around the next corner and told him we’d start in the lobby.

“You know you don’t have to show me around.”

“I do. You’re new remember. Try to act like a ‘normal’ new kid.” I said.

We got to the lobby and another administrator stopped us.

“What are you two doing walking around without passes?” He asked.

“He’s new, I’m giving him a tour.” I said.

“What’s your name?”

“Andrew Jackson sir.” Andrew told him.

“Right. Well, carry on then.”

I had been so nervous and jumpy I couldn’t stay still anymore.

“Let’s go.” I urged Andrew.

“Hold on.” Andrew said following me. He tried to take my hand but I wouldn’t let him.

“He’s gone.” He said.

“I know, but there are also cameras and…”

“Emma. Stop. Just a minute.”

“The gym is through there and down at the end are the locker rooms.” I proceeded.

“Emma, we need to talk.”

“Yeah we do.”

“Well then let me explain.” Andrew said stepping closer to me.

I put my hand on his chest. “The lockers are here and the cafeteria’s that way.” I said pointing.

“Please Emma.”

“Not now. I’m sure it can wait ‘til the end of the day.”

“I will be outside your door at 5:00 sharp.” Andrew conceded.

And he left. I stood there staring after him like an idiot until I realized I should act normal and get to class. I walked slowly to class and sat in my seat in between two of my friends. Elizabeth and Clara. They both looked like they wanted to say something but I got out my spiral and started taking notes. When the bell rang I quickly got up and put my stuff in my bag.

“Are we still on for tonight?” Clara asked as both she and Elizabeth came up on either side of me.

“Tonight?” I said.

“Yeah, we were supposed to sleep over your house tonight, along with Anna.”

“Oh, right. Sorry, I forgot. What time are you guys coming?”

“4:30” Elizabeth said.

“Perfect.” That’s great, I’ll have an excuse to fend Andrew off another day. I thought as I walked to my next class. The day went by somewhat slowly. I couldn’t wait to get out. I was fidgeting through every class and I had one teacher ask if I was okay.

As soon as the bell rang I was out the door and walking out to my car. I picked up some things for tonight at the grocery store on my way home.

“Mom, dad, Josh, Alexie! Anyone home?”

“Your mother’s at your aunt’s, Josh is at his friend’s for the night, and Alexie’s at her friend’s for the night too; I’m working in my study.” My dad’s voice replied.

I walk upstairs to my room and dropped off my bags before walking down the hall to my father’s study.

“My friends are coming to stay the night tonight.” I told him.

“All girls?”

“Yep. This time.” I smiled and gave him a peck on the cheek.

He smiled, “All right. I might be in here late so don’t be too loud.”

“Okay. I’m making pasta.”

“Oh, goody.”

I went back downstairs and started on the pasta, when it was finished I got a big spoon and started to mix it all up. I stirred, and stirred, and stirred. The cheese was gooey and melty. That’s exactly how my brain felt right now; stirred, mixed, and gooey. I didn’t know what Andrew planned on telling me, but he has to know I’m not going to just take him back. I can’t. At that moment the doorbell rang. Girls piled in and started throwing their junk on the floor.

“Mmm…I smell pasta.” I heard Anna say.

“Yes you do.” I said. “Everyone pick your stuff back up and take it to my room.”

“Owwww” Clara moaned.

They all took their stuff up and then helped me bring all the dinner stuff up to the roof. I knocked on my dad’s door real quick signaling dinner on the way up. When we first got this house, someone had left a bunch of crap on the roof. Once we got it all off it looked so bland that I decided as my project, I would fix up the roof. Now it has ivy climbing up one of those wooden things, and plants everywhere, and lights hanging everywhere with a table and chairs. Dad ate real quick while us girls took our time. As soon as dad was done eating he went back down to the study.

“So what’s up with Mike?” Clara asked me suddenly.

“What do you mean?” I asked her.

“Oh come on.” Elizabeth said. “We know he walks with you every morning and when we saw him second mod he wasn’t looking too happy. He wouldn’t talk to us.”

“He tried to hold my hand. You guys, you know I can’t handle that. And he knows he shouldn’t have tried it.” I said.

“He really likes you Emma. He’s liked you for a long time.” Anna said.

“I know.”

“You know, I saw a guy who looks a heck of a lot like your ex boyfriend this morning Emma.” Elizabeth said.

“So?” I asked.

“Is it him?”

“I…” Just then the door to the roof opened. Andrew stood in the doorway and looked out at us.

“Can I talk to you for a second Emma?” He asked.

i do not plan on putting werewolves in this. i want something where it's just one or the other. other people act like it's impossible.