Scavenger Hunt | Teen Ink

Scavenger Hunt

October 15, 2010
By sillypunk924 SILVER, Bolingbrook, Illinois
sillypunk924 SILVER, Bolingbrook, Illinois
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Sam was always better than the rest of his fourth grade class. His teacher praised and congratulated him on all of his hard work—even bragging to teachers and other students on what a great student he was. His drawings clung to the walls of the classroom, with a gold star in the lower right-hand corner of each one.

Even though Sam was a fantastic student, he wasn’t exactly the best person. Sam was friends with every other student in his class; except for one. The student he never spoke to, or even acknowledged, was Kyle. Kyle was a trouble-maker, a rebel of the elementary school. Kyle always sat in the back of the class, even though his teacher placed him in the front. He was a pale, ugly boy that never appealed to Sam, the way his grey eyes were surrounded by dark circles, or the way his lips curled over his jagged teeth when he smiled.

Sam always hated Kyle, and could not stand the sight of him. Kyle would stare at him with a sneer in his upper lip and Sam would get a sinking feeling in his stomach. Sam just couldn’t comprehend how Kyle could be so mean to people, and be so weird the way he sat in the shadows of the playground to wait on someone to trip or push.

Kyle continued to stare at Sam, and Sam was losing patience. He could feel his eyes on the back of his head like radars. Something needed to be done about him. Kyle was sometimes even fearful on his worst days. Sam intended on telling a teacher, tattling just like he always did. However, a better opportunity came up at recess one day.

Sam was playing on the swings when he heard a familiar, mischievous voice.

“Hey, Sam,” Kyle sneered, “want to play a game?” Sam smirked at the offer but accepted.

As they walked over to the jungle gym, Sam planned out his attack—he would corner Kyle in a game of tag and tell him to stop staring at him, then he would give Kyle the revenge that every kid on the playground deserved to give him.

“So, what are we playing?” Sam asked.

“Scavenger Hunt.” Kyle answered.

“What?” Sam shouted. How lame, Sam thought.

“You’re smart, you’ll figure it out,” Kyle growled, “now, look for pieces of paper around the school. Then when you’re done, I’ll be in back of the school by the dumpsters.”
Sam nodded, and Kyle left.

Soon, Sam found papers taped to the walls of the school. One said a rock. One said a pinecone. One said a leaf. After Sam found a stick, he wanted to give up. But then he figured he could use the items he finds to hurt Kyle! Sam quickly looked for the nest piece of paper. Instead of words, it had an arrow pointing to the right. Then more papers were just pointing.

Sure enough, Sam made it to the dumpsters. The shadows covered the entire back of the school as rain clouds came in. Wind picked up and a paper ball hit Sam on the shoulder. He bent down to retrieve it, placing the other items on the ground. As he stood back up, he heard evil, high-pitched cackling. His heart raced with fear as he opened the paper ball:
Look Up