Enough Already | Teen Ink

Enough Already

By Megan Keyser SILVER, Holland, Michigan
Megan Keyser SILVER, Holland, Michigan

Steven swirled the ice around in his drink with his straw. Clockwise. Counterclockwise. Clockwise. He thought the idea of Kletz cups was genius. 75 cents for each refill. It sure saved him a lot of money. He was kind of a Pepsi addict. He checked the door for what seemed like the 100th time in the last five minutes. He couldn’t believe it had only been that long since Sophie had started talking. He was hoping Natalie would get here soon so they could start work on their chemistry project and so he didn’t have to listen to Sophie ramble on about Nick anymore. It’s not that he didn’t like listening to her, it’s just that Nick seemed to be all Sophie could talk about these days, and it was a bit annoying.

“I just don’t understand Steven. Why does he do this? He knows that I love him and that I would never cheat on him.” He could tell she was holding back tears. It seemed like she was always doing that while talking about Nick. Steven hated that. “He has just seemed so distant ever since that rumor started.”

“I know, Soph. I wish I could tell you something that you wanted to hear. But maybe he’s just using this as a way out. You know. Maybe that’s why he’s choosing to believe that stupid rumor.”

Her eyebrows furrowed as he spoke. She pushed back a stray strand of her curly auburn hair, put her chin in her hands and sighed.

“That’s a possibility I guess. I don’t know. I just wish he would talk to me about it. I mean, if he actually thought about it for more than two seconds, he would see how totally ridiculous this whole thing is. I mean Kevin! Come. On. I hate Kevin now. I would never go back to him after how he treated me!”
Steven smiled as her facial expressions became more and more intense. Her look of utter disgust when she mentioned Kevin’s name was his favorite. Although, he can distinctly remember that at this time last year, her look when she talked about Kevin was completely opposite.

“I know that. And I’m sure Nick knows that. Just give him time. Stop pressuring him. If he wants to end it, let him.” Steven looked at the door again. There was still no sign of Natalie. Where was she? It wasn’t like her to be late. He surveyed the room. There was a girl in the booth next to them scribbling something in a notebook. There were a couple of guys across the room at a table stuffing their faces. Football practice had probably just gotten out. There were four girls at a table nearby. They were having a conversation, but at the same time they all seemed to be in a staring contest with their laptops.

“Steven! Did you hear me?” He was snapped out of his own staring contest with the rest of the room.

“No. Sorry. What did you say?”

“Never mind. It’s not important. Dude. It’s ten after. Where the heck is Nat?” Sophie looked annoyed. He wasn’t sure if it was with him for not listening or with Natalie for being late.

“I was just thinking that same thing. Should we text her?” As soon as he said that, Natalie walked in the room. “Oh, there she is.”

“Finally!”

“Hey guys! Sorry I’m late.” Natalie plopped down in the chair next to Sophie.

“I am so glad you are here. Nick is being super distant and I don’t know what to do!”

Steven laid his head in his arms on the table and groaned.

Well, obviously he's in love with her