Knock

Knock
I hear a knock knock knock on the door. I’m terrified to answer. Who the heck knocks on the door at 3:36 a.m.? You have got to be kidding me. The knock gets louder and more violent but I finally decide to answer it. Standing at the door are two military police officers, dressed in full dress blues, as well as the county sheriff, my life-long friend Fred Ubank. He grabs me by the shoulder and says “Dave, I’ve got some bad news.” As he says this, one of the MPs hands me a folded American flag and with no doubt I know what the news is. Fred continued, “I’m sorry to say but your son Tom was killed in action today.” I started to sob as the sad assumption becomes a grim reality. “He was trying his hardest to save a friend when he took a bullet to the chest. He bled out right there on the ground.” Now even Fred is crying. How could this happen? My baby boy killed in battle. I somberly walk to the phone and call my ex-wife, Tom’s mother. When I spoke at his funeral I talked of all the good times I had with him. That knock on the door will forever change my life.

Spence9316 said...
PLEASE COMMENT

A.Bekah.Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
you have a good base, but it's quite short. expand more, let us know more about the characters. and play with word choice. originally i thought that the main character was quite young...