Every Little Thing Counts Part 1

My mother always tells me, “Do what you can in time of need.” What does that mean? I haven’t figured that out yet. But some day I will. And I will do just that.

My mom and I live in Nigeria. I was born here. My mother however was born in Angola. She was taken on a slave ship over here. I ask her about the ship, but she refuses to give me any sliver of information. It’s not my fault I want to know more. I’m a curious kid.

But like my mother also says, “Curiosity killed the cat.”

“Sweetie?” My mother said helplessly from her cold and soiled corner. We live in a carved out dirt hole and my mother has been sick for months. Since there is no one around with medical experience, my mother’s sickness is a mystery.

“Yes, mother?” She coughed slightly. Her coughs, whimpers and pleads for help always made my stomach flip.

“I need..you to go and....get me some water.” I nodded and grabbed a water pail.

“I’ll be back soon.” I kissed her forehead and left for the four mile journey to the water spout. I heard another cough just before I left. Ugh. Stomach pains. Not only that but a tear trickled down my chin into the pail. One drop of water can make all of the difference in my world.

Carlie said...
Very Sad! But great! Please rate it!!!!