Heaven on Earth | Teen Ink

Heaven on Earth

By openheart SILVER, Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin
openheart SILVER, Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin

"Earth is crammed with heaven." -Elizabeth Barret Browning

I don't run for prizes or trophies. I run because I can. I feel no need to worry about my hair, or what my clothes look like. I could careless what problems await me at my front door, because at this moment I don't care.
All I want is the pure freedom my two feet give me, as each one glides past the other. With every step I feel more at peace with myself.
There is no right or wrong, there is only pavement. It's the one thing that I can just let myself venture into, without looking back. Oxygen seeks through my lungs, and takes me to a complete level of certainty. I am alive.
Unlike most things in life, I don't feel like I have to rush. I take my time, life is full of twists and turns, always taking us for a ride that never ends. But when I jog, the ride doesn't exist. Nothing does. I am in my own element, a place where problems are kept in a box, and the key has been long forgotten.
Running is my escape, it lets me be who I want to be. It's my heaven on Earth.

on Aug. 27 2010 at 9:55 am
NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland

I don't believe in hell but I believe in my parent's couch-- Watsky

This was beautiful. Usually, when someone writes about running, it's all about the adrenaline rush and their pounding heart and aching lungs. But this was all about peace. It's better that way. Good job. Can you check out my piece, "Encounter"?