Simple Nothings

Slowly my eyes opened another fantasy dream. Why must he haunt me in a place that’s supposed to be called dreams? They're more like nightmares.

I glanced at the clock, 4:56 AM, four more minutes and my alarm would have gone off. Lucky me, I woke up early. Throughout the morning, he was all I could think about. While I finished getting ready, thoughts raced through my mind like wildfire. I looked at the clock quickly, crap! It was 6:50 already, time to get out to the bus and I still hadn't gotten my shoes on or my book bag together. I shoved my stuff in my book bag, hoping I wasn't forgetting any supplies. I grabbed my black flats and rushed through the door, when my bus driver said 6:50 she really meant it and she had for the past 2 years so I wasn’t expecting any different this year. I turned the corner of the end of my house and looked towards left, nothing yet. I couldn't afford to miss the bus, unless I wanted my dad to take me in his old rusty truck. Then again I could go with my mom, in her charcoal Escape, but then I'd be late and I'd miss homeroom. And I don't think I want to be late on my first day of school. It’s just, riding the cheese wagon, not my first choice of public transportation. But all of that seemed pathetic in comparison to what it was going to be like today. Out of the corner of my eye I saw yellow, well there’s no turning back now. And I began down the driveway like I've been doing for the past 10 years.

The bus was quiet this morning, which was unusual because we’re always over-chatty. I thought it was because this was our last year here together, and that brought up memories from previous years. I remember, it was my first day and I had no clue what to expect from a whole new school. But I met my best friend that day, and I’m glad I made the choice of picking the school I’m in now. That best friend, was sitting next to me this morning,
Kayprece said “Can you believe it? We’re eighth graders now, but I still don’t feel like in one more year I’ll be in high school!”

I replied “I know I’m just happy I’ll be out of this dump of a school district next year.”

Kayprece said “Oh yeah, I almost forgot, you and I are going to Sussex Tech next year.” I looked out the window

“Yeah” I mumbled.

A voice interrupted my thoughts “What’s wrong now,” oops she hated when I did that.

“Why do you do that Kristie, we’ll be talking about something and you’ll just turn your head and go off into oblivion!”

I knew that already, “I’m sorry I just have a lot on my mind right now.” I glanced at her to see if she was mad at me, but her face was smiling.

“Kayprece why are you smiling like that?” and she replied “I’m your friend, tell me about it.”

Here we go I thought “Well you know I still like him, and—“, Kayprece asked “Who?” “Jake and I don’t know if he’s going to Seaford High or Sussex Tech.”

She laughed “Are you kidding me? Kristie, I could find out for you.”

My eyes popped wide “No, don’t do that! That would be so—“

“That would be so, what?”

I was at a loss for words to describe that embarrassment” Whatever okay, just please don’t do it.”

And for the rest of the ride we compared our new school supplies and everything we did over the summer. I never knew a bus ride could be so long. Until I saw the bridge up ahead, school was just a little way from here, I squealed “Oooooh my stomach is going crazy Kayprece!” Although she’d never understood my shyness she had grown used to it so she sighed said,
“Calm down its going to be fun!”
“Yeah I’ll just keep that in mind”

As the school came into view, I felt like my stomach would explode. We made a left turn, and then a right. The bus came to a stop; everyone stood up and practically pushed off the bus I was suddenly standing in front of a jungle of 500 students. And so, the adventure begins.

vegetariangirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
You are an amazing writer!! At first, when I was reading this I totally forgot it was fiction!!

80smusicfanatic said...
Oct. 2, 2010 at 10:23 am

Oh how wonderful!!!!!

This story is really good. I love the first few sentences, best part of the whole story.

starxoxo23 said...
Sept. 25, 2010 at 10:35 am
i like the way you really got into Kristie's head while writing this. I agree with SecretNonConformist - your characters totally remind me of myself when I was their age! Nice job =)

starxoxo23 replied...
Sept. 25, 2010 at 10:38 am
PS: I love this line: "Why must he haunt me in a place that’s supposed to be called dreams? They're more like nightmares."
But what is it referring to? You might want to elaborate on that line a little more.

DifferentTeenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
First off, thank you for your commments, they mean a lot to me! And that line, it sets up something, I don't want to spoil it because I'm continuing this piece into a series. But it's talking about the guy she has a crush on, and it hurts her to know that her dreams will never come true. Hence she calls them 'nightmares'

starxoxo23 replied...

That makes sense lol (: I'm sure it will turn into an amazing story/novel!

Glad I could help =)

SecretNonConformist said...
Sept. 25, 2010 at 6:36 am
My favorite part of this one was your characters. They were so realistic I almost laughed at the similarities between them and myself at that age. There were a few grammar mistakes but you can correct those. Anyways, great job! Keep writing!

starlight26 said...
Aug. 29, 2010 at 10:23 am
I love the way you describe the first day of school. Its exactly the way I feel!

essdubbleYOU said...
Wow! this is truly amazing:) i can see your passion in your writing. And with the characters I can right off the bat understand their personalities! Don't EVER stop writing for anyone. this is great.

Thank you so much =)