What I Dream Of

I am standing in a room. I do not see anything. I do not hear or feel anything. I am not even sure I exist. I just float, barely existing.

Suddenly, I am standing in a corridor, people milling about around me. I see black, masses of black robes. Everyone is wearing it, everyone except for me. As soon as I acknowledge this fact, my clothes change into the black uniform. I skip along, feeling overjoyed at my sense of belonging. I hear people talking about lessons. Transfiguration, Herbology and Potions they say. I follow them to my classes, which I suddenly realize I am late to.

Then it changes. I am no longer wearing black, but a long elegant gown. A crown adorns my head. I walk alone through the castle now, my footsteps the only sound. I search all over, but I find nobody, no one at all. I search the grounds, trying in vain to detect some one, any one. Suddenly, in a flash of green, I am being carried high in the air. Giant claws are gripping me around the waist. I look up and see a great, emerald dragon. Without warning, the dragon’s claws relax, letting me fall like a rock.

I don’t scream as I fall. I just enjoy the swooping feeling in my belly. I spread my arms out wide and laugh in pleasure. Then, as I am about to hit the ground, I pull out of an amazing dive. I look behind me, knowing my surroundings have changed. Strapped to my back is a pair of mechanical wings. My dress has changed into a tight-fitting jumpsuit. My head is inside a helmet. Through this helmet I see maps and video feeds, as well as the world around me. I spend several minutes performing complicated airials. Finally I decide on a spot to land. I touch the ground next to a giant oak tree. I remove my helmet and touch my ears. I notice that they are pointed.

That’s when I start to shrink. Smaller and smaller until I am no bigger than an insect. No longer do I wear an official uniform. No, now I wear a little purple dress that compliments my purple butterfly wings. I lightly flit around the garden that was not there a few seconds ago. Then something catches my eye. I see my beautiful self reflected in a mirror. I stop in mid flight and gracefully touch down on the mirror, gazing at myself. Quickly a jar slams down around me. I am flipped upside down while the lid is screwed on. I pound franticly on the glass, begging my captor to free me. My jar is shoved into a drawer. I sit in the corner of my prison and begin to weep. I know that terrible things will happen to me if I stay in here.

A painful buzzing interrupts my crying. Suddenly, I am no longer a witch, a princess, an elf or even a fairy. I am an ordinary girl again. I wake up and turn off my alarm clock. I sit up and stare at the books strewn on my bed. I gently pick them up in turn, and put them in a stack. Harry Potter, The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Artemis Fowl, Fablehaven. I slowly touch my stack of books. I rest my palm on them gingerly. I close my eyes, and wish I could be them.

myworld10This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow, wow, wow! i read through this whole thing w/out getting bored. luv it much. plz keep on writing.

ImaginedangerousThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Artemis Fowl rocks. This would probably be classified under Fan Fiction...

emergingtalent replied...
Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:41 pm :
I agree. I didn't see fan fiction, or I would have put this under it.