THE UNEXPECTED | Teen Ink

THE UNEXPECTED

June 21, 2010
By Jesusandwordsfanatic PLATINUM, Fayetteville, North Carolina
Jesusandwordsfanatic PLATINUM, Fayetteville, North Carolina
49 articles 0 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
Romans 14:8-For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.


It was a normal Sunday morning for Jenna. She went to Sunday school, saw all her friends, and enjoyed the lesson. After it was over, she went to the big service like every Sunday and sat with Sarah and Gina, as always.
They were sitting down after singing and Pastor had just said amen and began preaching. Jenna went to look for mints in her purse and saw her phone lighting up. It was Chase. She read it, “Hey plz ask Mrs. Smith if I can get a ride from her this Wednesday thnx!” Jenna went to reply and say sure np, but Sarah’s dad saw her and stood up in the service and said, “You can go sit with your parents if you’re going to txt during the service because we don’t txt over here.” Jenna was struck with fear and embarrassment. Her parents’ faces, mostly her father’s, were filled with anger and embarrassment as the entire congregation began to snicker.
Pastor called Jenna, her parents, and Pastor Jim into his office while Pastor John lead the congregation in some songs. “Jenna, you are no longer allowed to bring your phone into this building at all.” My dad butted in, “Not only that but she won’t even have it anymore!” My dad snatched my phone and threw it against the wall breaking it. Pastor was seated at his desk, Pastor Jim was beside him, Jenna was in the center chair closest to the desk, her mother in the chair behind her to the left, sister in the chair behind her to the right, and her dad standing next to her mother.
Jenna was determined to stand strong. She looked over to her father. “I’m sorry that I have shamed you. Mom, I’m sorry that I have shamed you as well. Kim, I’m sorry that you will be known as the girl whose sister ruined her family. Pastor, I’m sorry for…..’disrupting’ your service. Pastor Jim, I’m sorry I failed to follow through with your rules while sitting with your family.” I looked down with a stern and slightly angry face. I knew that I would encounter many other people and situations like this; wrong and unfair. I knew that God would be best pleased if I was the bigger person. I just looked down and sat there. Pastor Jim was still not satisfied, “You should be ashamed of yourself! Your father being a pastor and all!” I looked up slowly tilting my head to the left. “Don’t give me that attitude!!” he shouted. Within a moment he smacked me so hard causing me to jerk my neck downward to the right. I fought hard tears from coming. I tried to straighten and he did it again! I made a whining noise sorta grunt and squinted my eyes while clenching my teeth. I turned back to my father and he didn’t even flinch. We went home and I just cried.
Everyone kept txting me, and when I didn’t reply for 2 days they started calling my house. “Yes this is Chase. May I talk to Jenna?” “No.” Same thing for about 6 other friends.
Wednesday night for youth group. I get out of the car and walk through the parking lot. Chase caught my eye and his face looked like it was saying, ‘Are you ok?’ He started nonchalantly walking towards me and kinda nodded like do you need comforting? I just smiled, quickly frowned and walked on. He hung his head.
I continued to walk and Sarah ran towards me crying. “I’m so sorry! I still love you and want to be your friend still.” I cut her off. “That’s really sweet but I can’t. I’m sorry.” I walked inside the building and sat in an aisle seat in the center. Pastor Fay came over and said, “I know how hard this is for you and I think it is completely unfair, but you don’t have to be secluded.” “Thank you for the consideration, but I do if I don’t want to get into trouble.” I stared forward to give him the hint that I was done talking. He left me alone and I just sat through the service. Chase came up to me afterwards and gave me a hug and whispered in my ear. “I’ll be praying for you and I hope that we can still be friends.” He pulled away, smiled, and left. I called after him. He turned around and I said, “Thanks. And yes.” Then I went back to all my friends and gave them a hug. I decided to trust the Lord to take care of me and live my life the way I was. Everything was going to be ok. =)

The author's comments:
This is my worst nightmare because I am supposed to be Jenna and it could happen. I just pray that it won't.