Sick Twist of Fate This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Rubbing her nails back andforth on the counter, she watched them. They were quite interesting, the twolovebirds who sat in the corner of the bar. They seemed completely apart from theworld, and weren't even aware that she'd been watching them for the last hour orso.

The bartender leaned over the counter with her refill. He sloshed theglass as he placed it in front of her.

"Thanks," shemuttered.

Bowing her head, she watched the foam of the beer dissolvebefore she took a sip. She focused her attention back on the two in the corner.The guy hovered over the girl he was with, smothering her in the booth. Only forbrief moments would the woman surface from their conversations togiggle.

"Aren't they funny?" the bartender stated. Apparently hewas still there. In an effort to seem nice, she faced him and tried to listen."They come here every night."

"Every night ..."Raising an eyebrow, she let him go on.

"Just the two of them, alwayswanting the same booth." Sighing, he leaned farther over the counter towardher. "Ordering the same drinks and always wanting to be left alone. Youwould think they'd get tired of each other after that long talkin' but no, theykeep yakking. It's been steady like this for about ..." Pausing for a momenthe glanced away, trying to remember, "For about three months now, Ithink.

Glancing back to the two, she began to pick up smaller details thatirritated her even more. How he cocked his head slightly as he crouched over her.How he could not, even for a second, keep his fingers out of her hair.

"I have to go." Laying down a few bills, she tried to stand up. Shemust have had a little too much to drink because she was a little unsteady.Clutching the barstool, she tried to keep her balance.

"Do you need aride home? I can call a cab," the bartender offered. Coming from behind thecounter, he grabbed her under the arms and propped her up. She would havecollapsed otherwise. "You really shouldn't drink somuch."

Swinging her arm backwards, she got out of his grasp andstepped backward, distancing herself from him. She was smiling for the first timethat night.

"Great sales tactic, Bub." Her grin widened."I'll be fine. I can get a cab myself." Her head bobbed. "Thanksfor the offer, all the same."

Turning her back she steered herselftoward the couple. She straightened her jacket and ran her hands quickly throughher hair before she reached them. She spoke as she approached.

"Robbie!" She gracefully greeted him, trying not to reveal herdrunkenness. "Funny seeing you here. Especially on ouranniversary."

Recognizing the voice, the man stood quickly, uneasyand confused. "Amy, it's not what it looks like, Iswear."

Moving her hand past the front of her face, she tried to movea piece of her hair as she talked but with no success. "Don't worry aboutit, we're through." He tried coming after her as she walked away from thetable, but she just shrugged him off.

She staggered out, leaving the manand the girlfriend to battle things out.

As the door of the bar swungshut, she leaned against the stone wall of the building. Taking a deep breath,she listened. She could already hear them screaming. Soon came the sound ofobjects being thrown and breaking.

Grinning deeply, she slipped into acab. Her work was done.

Ride4Life said...
Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:54 am
I noticed that too! I wonder why that is.

Ride4Life replied...
Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:55 am
(Supposed to be in reply to the comment about the spacing...)

VanishingEntity said...
Ooh. I really liked this story. Really, wonderful! I like the darkness.

weirdonpurpose said...
classic. i loved it. :) just watch your spacing.

Imaginedangerous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 22, 2010 at 9:15 am
I don't think the spacing is the author's fault- I think there's a glitch or something. There's a ton of other stories on this site with the same problem, so either it's a computer issue or almost every Teen Ink user forgets where the spacebar is. :)