A New Life | Teen Ink

A New Life

June 23, 2010
By iluvedwardcullen25 GOLD, Burlington, Kentucky
iluvedwardcullen25 GOLD, Burlington, Kentucky
15 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I open my eyes for the first time and see my first shed of light. Everything looks distorted and there are so many different shapes and movements, I don’t know where to turn. I turn my head to the side and see all my siblings. They are not looking at me, and this confuses me even more.

Now everything begins to become even clearer. I see blotches of something on the shapes of moving and still objects. As the minutes pass I become more and more perplexed. I then see something very large coming near me, I duck my head to protect myself. This object looks at me and says “Do not be afraid little one, I am your mother, and the other three you see beside you are your brother and sisters. I know that you must be frightened, but there is no need to worry. I will teach you everything you need to know before you leave me.”
“So, you are my mother? Well, what exactly am I?” I replied, softly.
“You my little one are a bird. Actually you are a robin to be exact. All of you are sitting in a nest that I built for you.”
“Well, what do birds do mother?” I asked.
“You will find out very soon. But I will be right back; I must go and fetch our breakfast.” Again, my vision became clearer and I saw her spread her wings and take off into the sky. I knew that I wanted to be able to do that one day. It seemed like such an exhilarating experience.
It seemed like no time at all when my mother was back. She had something in her mouth though. They were wriggling and I was curious of what they were. She told me to open my beak and I did. She slowly put the wriggling object in my mouth. It was very slimy but satisfying. I swallowed the creature whole.
“What was that?” I exclaimed.
“That my little one was a worm. They will be one of the best food sources you have. You can find them in the ground. I will teach you in time how to find them.”
“Mother, why does my other brother and sisters not talk to you?”
“Well, because they are asleep my little one. I will wake them now and feed them and then we can begin our lessons.” She nudged my siblings and finally when all three were up and fed, mother looked to us and said, “Today my little ones, you will be learning how to fly.” I felt something inside of me beating against my chest. I was not sure what it was but I felt tense and excited at the same time.
“I must warn you all, there is a predator that lives in this area that you must never go near.” I then saw what she was talking about. I saw a large creature on four legs, it had a like a tail and fur. I saw it open its mouth and I saw enormous teeth! I heard all my other brother and sisters gasp as they beheld this creature. “This creature is very dangerous and will kill you. You must listen to everything I say. Do not attempt to do something yourself because you are sure to die if you do. Do you understand me?”
We all said yes in unison and our mother nodded her head and said, “Good.” She looked at me and said, “Do you see that ledge up above?” I looked above and I did see a ledge but behind that ledge I saw something that I did not know what it was. “Mother what is that other object behind the ledge?”
“That is a window my little one. It is something the humans use to keep creatures like us out. I will explain who the humans are to you later. But right now I am going to fly you up to that ledge. Once I put you there you must not move.”
“All right mother, I won’t. I replied. She then opened her feet and took me by my back and flew up to the ledge. It was a feeling like no other, being in the sky. Even though I was not flying, I was in the air, which I thought was the coolest experience ever. After a minute or two all of my siblings were on the ledge including my mother.
At this point I realized that the four legged creature had moved right under the ledge. It was looking up at us with beady eyes. I knew it was just waiting for one of us to fall so it could claim its dinner. All of us, besides my mother were staring at the creature below. “Little ones, you must not pay attention to this creature. If you follow my directions you all will be safe and it will not kill you.” We all then, reluctantly looked away from it.
“Now, I want you to watch what I do.” First she started flapping her wings up and down slowly, as time went on they started gaining more speed. She then began slowly stepping closer and closer to the edge of the ledge. Finally she did one final flap of her wings and she was flying! “You see that is all you have to do to fly. It is easy for me because I have been doing it for awhile, but once you get the hang of it, it will be easy for you as well.” All of a sudden, my brother standing next to me started flapping his wings and he jumped off the ledge so quickly mother didn’t have a chance to stop him. When he was in the air he cheered but then he began to lower. “What is happening? I am flapping my wings but I am going downwards!” “I told you, you must wait until I tell you it is all right to fly!” exclaimed my mother. I looked at my mother and she shook her head. She knew that I wanted to save my brother but she couldn’t have me dead too. In a matter of seconds I saw my brother hit the ground and the four legged creature jumped him. My only brother had died in front of me. I was in shock but I knew there was nothing that could have been done.
My mother looked to me and said, “My little one, you can fly, just wait until I say for you to begin.” I nodded in agreement. After a few minutes she looked to me and said, “All right, you can try to fly now.”
Again, I felt something thumping inside of me. Every time this happened I felt anxious. I took a deep breath in and started flapping my winds up and down very gradually. I then began to pick up speed. I inched myself closer to the edge and before I knew it there was nothing below me. I was in the air, and I was flying! I kept flapping my winds up and down. I even moved from the spot I was in. I flew high into the sky and then I flew down quickly and then back up again. I even did a few twists in the air. The feeling of being in the air was not a feeling I could describe. It was like I had endless possibilities and the world was mine to see.