The Rain | Teen Ink

The Rain

By lovsummergirl94 PLATINUM, West Windsor, New Jersey
lovsummergirl94 PLATINUM, West Windsor, New Jersey

I like the fact that when it rains, nobody can see my tears. The rain hides them; the rain hides everything. I like putting my hands together palms up and catching the rainwater. I like catching it until it starts to overflow, and when that happens, I just let the water go. I just let it go like I let my tears flow.

I don’t like crying in front of people because it shows weakness. I am strong and that is why I cry in the rain. The rain hides my tears; the rain hides everything. I like looking up at the gray, nebulous clouds and thinking. Simply thinking. I think about a lot of things: the future, the past, the present, the baby birds in the nearby trees, my friends in the park, what I will do, and why I cry.

The last thing is what I always get stumped on. Why do I cry? This makes no sense but I know that everyone cries. Why do people cry? That answer is easy, people cry because they are sad or something has made them sad. But, why am I sad? I cry all the time so that means I am sad all the time.

A drop of water splatters on my cheek. It’s raining again. Lately, it has been raining all the time; it is as if Mother Nature knows exactly how I feel. I like to think that when it rains, it means Mother Nature is crying. I always tell her to stop, but she never listens to me. Mother Nature likes to cry with me, I guess. Our tears mix together and, in that moment, we are one.

This piece is all about being alone when it is raining and just letting your feelings out. Sometimes the best way to purge yourself of sadness is by crying. Sometimes the best way to do this is to do it alone and do it in the rain. The rain hides everything.