A Night to Remember | Teen Ink

A Night to Remember

Lights were blinding, pre-show music was blaring, sparklers were flaming. You could
hear the excitement in the buzz around the room in each word that the crowd uttered. Merely an
hour after the concert tickets were up for sale, the show was already sold out. Lana and I were
lucky enough to be one of two thousand to have a ticket that night.

“When is the show going to start? It feels as if we’ve been here for hours and still
nobody has come out to announce the performers. I’m getting tired of waiting!”

As usual Lana was her usual no-patience self.

“It’s supposed to start at 6:00. We have less than five minutes left until…”

“Good evening and welcome to the show. I am Ryan Seacrest and I will be the host of
this American Idol Show tonight! You are lucky enough to hear the first night of our Top 20
Idol Tour and we have some very talented musicians here to perform for you tonight. Although
they will not be judging I would like to introduce our judges-- please join me in welcoming Ellen
DeGeneres, Kara DioGuardi, Randy Jackson, and Simon Cowell.”

“We love you Simon……!”

“Wooohoooooo…..”

“Marry me Kara!”

“We would like to thank all of you that came out tonight and will start this show with
Jasonnnn.”

Jason was my favorite contestant in the Idol 2010 season. I always believed that he was
the most talented, not just because I was reminded of the ocean every time I looked into his eyes,
and I got goose bumps every time he began to sing. He always received my vote, and although
he was the runner-up, he is still a star in my heart.
“Rah-rah-ah-ah-ah. Roma, Roma-ma. Gaga, ooh la la….”

If a pin dropped amongst the crowd, you would think there was a thunderstorm. Nobody
knew how to react or what to say. Jason was known for putting a bit of a twist in his
performances, but nothing like this. Even during hell week he never cracked under pressure,
forgetting the lyrics. Who did he think he was, Lady GaGa?

“I wonder if he realized how big of a fool he is making of himself up there,” I whispered
to Lana as she mesmerizingly stared at the stage, stunned at the performance that was taking
place.

This little show continued on for about five minutes with him repeating and repeating
those same lines. I didn’t know whether to laugh at how much of a fool he seemed or to cry
because I seriously was about to go insane if I heard those lines once again. As Jason ended with
a final note, even Ryan Seacrest was at a loss for words, which is something you definitely don’t
see on a regular basis.

“Uh… well… thanks… Let’s give it up for Jason, ladies and gentlemen.”

A half-hearted applause erupted throughout the room as people questioned whether that
was a serious performance or not. Like me, Jason was a favorite in the hearts of many around
the room, and we would not be satisfied with that performance. Plus, what kind of a way to open
a show was that?

On the side of the stage, Jason seemed to be getting a joke that nobody in the room had
yet caught on to. He stood there, laughing so hard that he was practically in tears, when all of a
sudden, Lady GaGa emerged from out of the crowd, threw off her hat, stood up on her chair with
a microphone in her hand and began, “I want your love and I want your revenge, You and me could write a bad romance. I want your love and all your lover’s revenge, You and me could
write a bad romance….,” finishing off the song for Jason.

That little stunt may have only been between those two performers, but it was a great way
to start the show off after all. The judges were in hysterics and everyone in the crowd was
clapping away to the beat of the music. It may have been unexpected, but it will sure give
everyone something to talk about for ages.