I am a princess | Teen Ink

I am a princess

May 18, 2010
By Anonymous

“Dad, I don’t want to go to school today.”

“Honey, you have to go to school. You have already missed so many days.”

“But Dad, no one likes me. All the kids just use me to copy my work.”

“Olivia, I’m sorry. It’s almost spring break, your going to school. End of discussion.”

Hi, my name is Olivia Campbell. If I could have one wish in my life, I would wish for my mom back. She died when I was 9 years old of cancer. She really was the best mom in the world. I know you probably hear that come out of girls’ mouths all the time, but my mom was truly the best mom ever. She had long, shiny blonde hair and crystal blue eyes. When you see her smile, it just makes you feel so happy inside. My mom really loved me and I know that because she told me all the time. I really, really miss her, Especially now that I’m 15 years old. Who knew that being a teenage girl without a mom could be so hard? I’m basically driving my dad crazy. I feel sorry for him because he obviously doesn’t know how to raise a 15 year old girl. Let’s just say, my dad tries to be the best mom he can be, but just never says the right things.

Recently, my life has totally changed in way neither you or I would ever imagine. It all started one morning, I really didn’t want to go to school. I mean, I guess I make good grades and I am “okay” at sports, but I just don’t have a lot of friends. I really hate school. There are a few kids who really don’t like me, I never really understood why, but for some reason, they are extremly mean.

One day I was sitting in science class half asleep because we were watching a boring video about rocks and minerals. It didn’t really appeal to me, so I sat there thinking about anything and everything. Suddenly, I heard an annoying squeaky voice, “Olivia, Olivia Campbell! Where are you Olivia?” It was my teacher, Mrs. Crabb. “Olivia, please go to Principal Bower’s office. He would like to see you.” She squeaked.
“Why does he need to see me?” I asked.
“Olivia, you will find out when you get there. Just go!” she exclaimed.
I slowly stood up and gathered my things on my desk, while the rest of the class whispered and gossiped about me. They thought I was in trouble, and so did I.

I knocked on the big, glass door to Principal Bower’s office. I looked in and saw 3 police men standing closely to a older lady, wearing a crown. I recognized the lady. I had seen her on the news paper and on TV before, she was the Queen of a country called, Firewood. I wondered what she was doing at my school, and really wondered what she had to do with me. I hesitated to open the door, Principal Bower signaled me to come inside. I walked in and he introduced me to the queen. She looked at me, smiled and said, “Hello Olivia, I am Queen Elizabeth, Queen of Firewood. How do you do?”
“He-Hello Queen Elizabeth, I am well thank you” I said nervous and confused.
The Queen could see the confused look on my face and started to explain. “Olivia, I think you probably wondering why I am here.” I sat there listening closely. She went on, “Well, you mother…”
I interrupted, “How do you know my mother?”
“Olivia, please let me explain, your mother is my daughter. I am your grandmother and ever since your mother has passed away, you have been the princess of Firewood, for you are the next generation to pass on the thrown to. Whenever a princess turns the age of 16, it is her time to become the Queen. Olivia, you are 15 and your 16th birthday is around the corner.” The Queen explained.
I stood there, frozen like an ice cube, with thoughts dashing through my brain like shooting stars. I didn’t know what to say. I never thought that anything like this could ever happen to me, Olivia Campbell, of all people.
Queen Elizabeth went on, “I am here to take you with me to Firewood to begin training to be Queen.”
I sat there thinking about the situation for a while, the next thing I know I’m on my grandmother’s private jet, flying to Firewood.

This was going to change my life. I am going to go from the bottom of the food chain, to the very top, hire than I ever imagined. I sat there looking out the window at the never ending land of soft, white, puffs of clouds and whispered to myself, “Queen Olivia, Queen Olivia,” I thought it had a nice ring to it. I just wish my mother could be with my through this amazing experience, and teach me how to be the best Queen, just like her. But I know she is somewhere out there, in the land of soft, white clouds, watching over me. I know she would be very proud. I realized, my life had just changed so dramatically right there, before my eyes.