The Autumn Leaf | Teen Ink

The Autumn Leaf

May 17, 2010
By Poison-Sonata BRONZE, Nashville, North Carolina
Poison-Sonata BRONZE, Nashville, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

In a fierce wind, one leaf clung desperately to its branch, the last leaf still attached to the tree. It held tenaciously, trying with all the might it could muster to stay with its life giving source. But its desperation, its desire to live, wasn't enough against the maelstrom. The leaf was plucked from its home and sent spiraling to the grassy earth below at a sharp angle. It flipped and turned in the air, as if still struggling, as if trying to claw its way back home. And then the wind stopped suddenly, like it could no longer bear to watch such a hopeless effort. The little red leaf, the leaf that tried so hard to live, floated softly to the ground below admist a pile of its bretheren. Its struggle was done.

The author's comments:
The inspiration for this piece happened during fall. Most people enjoy the new colors of the leaves or like to jump in the piles, but I realized that the things we all thought were so pretty and fun were just dead and dying plants. So I decided on writing about a simple leaf about to fall from a branch and added as much emotion as I could to it.

There's no real hidden meaning in this story, but I hope readers will learn to appreciate the small things in life and find beauty in all things, even the insignificate death of a single leaf.