A Long Drive to School | Teen Ink

A Long Drive to School

May 20, 2010
By Josh Anair BRONZE, Holland, Michigan
Josh Anair BRONZE, Holland, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

This week started how I hoped it wouldn’t, with MME testing. I was dreading this week, bit it was still going to happen. I woke up Tuesday morning and started to get ready like usual (I felt extra rested as I had went to bed the night before). Birds were singing outside, taunting me as I was readying myself. I left my house, and on the drive to school it was very foggy. I couldn’t see two feet in front of me; the road could’ve been gone for all I knew. I turned left on 152nd as usual, a daily routine I could do in my sleep. The fog lifted as the school came into view. The sun was peaking through the clouds, and I saw God shining his grace on me. As I turned to look at the school my jaw dropped.
I decided to turn into the grassy field that should’ve been a parking lot. I got out of my car and my feet sunk into the still wet grass. I looked out towards the intersection, but only saw a long field of grass. I was worried now. I saw a large castle in front of me, with a drawbridge, complete with numerous watchtowers along the towering wall. I turned to my left, and out in the distance I saw small houses. My mind was a blur of thoughts as I tried to take in my surroundings. The temperature was chilly; the air was crisp, cold. I put my head in my hands, and decided to run towards the castle. I ran over the bridge, I looked down and saw the nose of a crocodile. The water was 25 feet down or more, plunging in the water could only mean certain death. I finished crossing the bridge, and stepped onto a stone floor. I knocked on the big mahogany doors. The doors crept open, the hinges screaming. As stepped forward to look inside, everything went dark.

I woke up in a dark room. I could see nothing, not even my own body. It was cold; I could hear the drip-drop of water hitting a stone floor. I tried to walk, but I couldn’t, I was stuck. I felt around with my hands and decided I was in a dungeon. I yelled at the top of my lungs before finally deciding to just wait. I heard a door open, and a tiny ray of light shined in restoring my eyesight. There were voices, one was hurried and scared, the other calm and firm. Then I heard footsteps I was antsy, squirming with anticipation. I wanted to know what had happened. I wanted to know why I was here, and how I could leave. A small figure came into my view; he was hunched over, with shadow covering his face. I could see him shaking as he walked towards me. I reached out to grab him, hoping for answers. However, he became farther and farther away. I realized I was falling.
I snapped awake, I was in my bed. My body was drenched in a cool sweat, and my heart was racing. It was all just a dream.