Swinging | Teen Ink

Swinging

By ellemarie BRONZE, Georgetown, Massachusetts
ellemarie BRONZE, Georgetown, Massachusetts

"Afterwards, the universe will explode for your pleasure." -Douglas Adams

Click. The camera shutter of my mind’s eye closes, forever capturing the picture. Warm light pours down from the heavens, casting a golden glow over everything. This picture is forever tattooed in my memory. It begins with a tree.

This tree is a wondrous tree that has guarded the front of my house for as long as I’ve been alive. A swing hangs regally from a stately branch, the breeze gently tickling the rough twine ropes. The sun warms my back, my dark t-shirt absorbing the heat like a sponge. I am a queen, the swing my throne. I gaze with a benevolent eye over the long-grassed meadow that is my kingdom. I swing back my legs and a gentle murmuring of the sweet breeze whispers in my ear. Time to fly, the wind sings to me. I lean back in my throne. I watch the emerald canopy spangled with umber veins with eyes that are my own but then again, eyes that are detached from this mundane world. I blink and the moment passes. I am just another miniscule piece of the universe.

The sun bears down upon the scene. I taste the scent of a promising summer on the air. As I lean back once more, I let go of my throne and fling myself at the sky. I fall back to earth, my attempt to fly thwarted. The grass of my kingdom grazes my feet as I land like a stone. I roll over under that remarkable tree, the sun in my eyes, summer on my heels, and I laugh.

I wrote this for a creative writing prompt in English class. My mom liked it so I posted it!

on Jun. 4 2010 at 10:57 am
roxymutt BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. -David Henry Thoreau

Beautiful!  The imagery and details were superb.  It's like the perfect summer moment caught in the breifest (sp) story!  I loved it! My work is about as short as yours! Check it out if you get the chance. Beep....

RyanDouglass GOLD, Geneva, Other

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss

That was fantastic! It was so full of imagination. And it really made me feel the joy of summer as I read it. Great job!

ningafingers said...
Elle, I remember when you read that in einglish and the class was entranced at your way that made it as if we were next to you and yet again I so am I!! amazing job I loved it!!!