Cemetery | Teen Ink

Cemetery

April 24, 2010
By Saga Blomberg BRONZE, Ljunghusen, Pennsylvania
Saga Blomberg BRONZE, Ljunghusen, Pennsylvania
3 articles 3 photos 3 comments

A huddled figure stood alone staring at the white engraved slab of stone that was secured in place by cement. The figure, the woman, lowered her head and exhaled silently. She bent down and placed a single flower on the grave, and then slowly walked over to the next grave.


She placed an identical flower on the ground in front of the grave and then proceeded to give the next 5 graves the same treatment. Her face remained passive, not showing any emotion whatsoever as she honored the deceased.


She clutched her last flower in a death grip as she approached the final resting place of her tormentor. She glared in hatred at the name eternally engraved into the only gray stone in the whole burial grounds. She scowled at it, and felt tears welling up in her violet eyes. She held them back, staring at the mockingly clear robin’s egg blue sky, and scowled at that too.


A loud growl escaped her throat, followed by a reluctant sob. She blinked her eyes shut, allowing the tears to finally complete their existents in the world. Making her look genuinely saddened by the death of the woman that lay below her.


Her shoulders shook and she lowered her head again silently wishing she had never come, wishing that she had just stayed home, and wishing that her life wasn’t so damn long.


She narrowed her eyes in an attempt to clear her eyes of the salty tears that clouded her vision, and then carefully set the last flower on the ground in front of her. She straightened again and cast a hurt look in the direction of the other graves, in the direction of the people that had left her.


She turned on her heel and set out of there, away from her dearly departed family and towards her old, old, old car. She promised herself that she’d never come again; just leave them alone, just as they had done to her. She sighed and knew that in a month she’d be back going through the same thing, cursing the same person, holding back the same tears and promising herself the same thing.


She glanced over at the overgrown clearing where her friends, her family, where she herself should be buried and felt the previous anger wash out of her, leaving a very empty feeling in the pit of her stomach.


She climbed into her car and turned the ignition listening to the engine rumble to life. She laid her head on the worn steering wheel and glanced over at the other woman reclining in the passenger seat. The tall, black haired woman looked over at the other, emerald eyes meeting amethyst, and offered a lop-sided smile.

“She didn’t mean it you know.”



The woman at the wheel nodded slowly and reached down to shift the car into drive. It rolled over the gravel road, tires crunching loudly over the rocks and debris. The black haired woman leaned back and rephrased what she had said only moments ago.

“Kat didn’t mean it.”

The author's comments:
I wrote this in a response to a prompt list I found on the web.

Just to clear something up the two living people in this are immortal.