Christmas Wish | Teen Ink

Christmas Wish

By PinkeyPromise13 SILVER, Cayce, South Carolina
PinkeyPromise13 SILVER, Cayce, South Carolina

"Ive got my mouth. Its a weapon. Its a bombshell. Its a cannon. Ive got my words."

It was a beautiful night. The moon and stars where beaming.
Seven year old Grace and 15 year old Claire where sitting outside looking up at the stars.
"Star light,Star bright,first star I see tonight, I wish I may,I wish I might,have the wish I wish tonight." They said together,then silently made their wishes.
Grace wished for everyone to be happy on Christmas. Claire wished for the same thing. After they made their wishes they got up and went inside. Their parents where at a party and left Claire in charge.
"Alright Grace,time for bed!" She called to her sister.
"Aww,can't we stay up till momma and papa come home?" Grace asked.
"Sweetie,they might be gone a long time. And besides you need to get your sleep if you want to get up early tomorrow to open presents!"
Grace sighed and went to her room,Claire followed behind to make sure she really went to bed.
"Night,night Claire." She whispered,climbing into bed.
"Goodnight sweetie." Clair whispered back.

"Claire,Claire wake up. It's Christmas!" Grace yelled,jumping up and down.

"Shh" Claire said,putting a finger to her lips, "You'll wake up mom and dad."

Grace giggled. "Ops,sorry" She whispered. Claire smiled.
"Lets go get some breakfast,and then if they arn't up you can wake them up."

The girls went downstairs to eat. Claire made sure Grace didn't see the living room,but she couldnt help looking herself. There where no presents under the tree. That was weird,but she shrugged it off and kept walking.

Halfway through her mini-weats, Claire heard a knock at the door.

"Be right back, Grace." She told her sister. She went to the door and opened it. A police officer was standing there,with his hat off.

"Claire Baker?" He asked. Unable to speak she nodded.

"Can i come in?" He asked. She stepped aside and let him in.

"Whats going on?" Grace asked in a small voice,from the kitchen door.

"Go eat sweetie. I'll be there in a second." Claire told her. After Grace left, she turned back to the officer.

"What is going on?" She asked. He sat down.

"Your parents where in a car crash last night."

"What? N-NO!"

"I'm sorry."
Angry tears streamed down her face. "You're lying! This is a joke,a sick joke!" She yelled.

He put a hand on her sholder. "You and your sister need to pack some bags and come with me. We called your aunt. You'll be living with her for a while."

Grace had been listening from the door. Tears where streaming down her face.

"Mommies and daddies cant die!" She cried. Claire went over to her and held her. The little girls body racked with sobs.

That night at their aunts house the girls got ready for bed. After Claire was asleep,Grace said her prayers.

"Dear God,I've been a good girl. Can I please,please,please, have my momma and poppa back? Mabey my happy wish was to much,just give them back"

When she finished she was crying again. So much for that Christmas wish