The Letter | Teen Ink

The Letter

By CH4S327 BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
CH4S327 BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia

It was a dark night as I walked down the gloomy street. Realizing that I had missed the house, I turned around. There, I said to myself, I did see something or someone behind me. Out of the corner of my eye, I could just barely make out what looked like a dark figure behind me, following me near the store-fronts, until suddenly the figure vanished into a side alley. My heart rate quickened as well as my pace towards the house, the evil letter still seemingly burning a hole in my pocket. Beads of sweat covered my face as I began to wrestle with the large iron gate, which took what seemed like an eternity to open. I could hear someone approaching now; as their footsteps became louder, they seemed to quicken their pace. I finished pushing open the giant gate and broke off in a near run up the long driveway to the glowing mansion. The sound of the footsteps stopped for a moment, I assumed at the gate, and for a minute I thought I had lost my assailant, but to my dismay the footsteps seemed even closer than before.

I wrote this short story for my English class. I really enjoyed writing it, and thought I would submit it.