The Men | Teen Ink

The Men

By Devin Burke BRONZE, Centennial, Colorado
Devin Burke BRONZE, Centennial, Colorado

It was an odd night. Very strange indeed. It was dark out. The trees seemed restless. There were no noises except the wind howling against the trees. I looked out the window and my heart jumped. I saw a pale green man in a long black coat with black eyes and pale red lips. Standing between two large trees. The man looked familiar. I grabbed my shotgun from under my bed and ran downstairs. He was not there.

I had been living in a small two story, five room house high up in the Rocky Mountains. I had moved here because something haunted me. Something that chilled me. It was my wife and two kids.

It was a dark and cold night. I had come home one evening when I found all the lights out and a black van in the driveway.

“Hmm didn’t expect company.” I said to myself.

I figured they were asleep so I left the car in the street and crept up to the front door. I heard something like ice crunching under my feet.
“That’s odd it hasn’t snowed in months.” I whispered.

When I looked down it was not ice but glass. I looked to my right and there was a blown out window. I looked back down and saw something else and made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Blood.

My heart stopped. I ran to the car and grabbed the first thing I saw which was a shoe. I then climbed through the second story window. I found myself in complete darkness. Before I knew where I was I slipped and knocked over a shelf. Then I heard voices but they were not English. More like...
“Oh my god.” I screamed as the black shadow towered over me.
He then took his bony knuckles hit me in the head.

I awoke to see my wife and kids with their head in black bags and their hands tied.
“Let them go.” I screamed.

Then the lights went out and then screams that died away into the night.
I never saw them again. I went to the police and they didn’t seem to care.

The man in the front yard looked just like one of them. I decided to go and read in bed. Just then I heard the front door open and heavy footsteps come up the stairs. I grabbed my shotgun from under my bed. I heard someone fiddle with the doorknob. I cocked the gun. The door opened and I saw a pale green man. I didn’t hesitate I knew this man killed my wife and two kids and was coming to kill me. I shot him three times just before he pulled out a long dagger. I checked his pulse and looked at him.
“You will pay,” he gasped.