55-Word Short Stories | Teen Ink

55-Word Short Stories

February 3, 2010
By jennam8 GOLD, Quakertown, Pennsylvania
jennam8 GOLD, Quakertown, Pennsylvania
12 articles 27 photos 56 comments

-Dance With the Devil
She seemed harmless; that was before she threw her flirtatious eyes at you. She seemed nice; that was before she ignored me, pulling you onto the dance floor. She seemed funny; that was before I realized her humor was spoken for you. You seemed smart; that was before you joined her on the dance floor...

-The Electric Factory
Crowds of heads gather in front of the stage, various perfumes and colognes combining. The curtain drops, the crowd thrusts forward in a sweaty mess. Flashing lights blind retinas and booming bass deafens eardrums. Arms and rock signs flail above heads. The crowd moves like an ocean, dancing underneath a full moon during high tide.

-He Was Right
"Look for the star," he told her. "What?" she replied, puzzled. "Tonight, look for the star," he walked away from her desk. She gathered her things, heading home. Her bedroom quickly comforted her as she bolted up the stairs, away from her abusive parents. The bruises developed, night approached. And then she saw the star.

-The Blind, The Deaf, and The Heartless
All these writers with thoughts and ideas, but only some are heard. All these artists with pictures and imagination, but only some are seen. All these "nerds" with potential and intelligence, but only some are noticed. All these teachers with knowledge and wisdom, but only some get credit. All these words written, but never read.


The author's comments:
Dance With the Devil: I chose to write this from a personal experience that happened recently. This night had bothered me for a couple days, but it gave me a great topic to write about for my Creative Writing class. It explains my feelings in only 55 words.

The Electric Factory: This was another personal experience, but in more detail. The Electric Factory in Philadelphia was the place where I saw my first 2 concerts. They were both great moments.

He Was Right: This is not a personal experience. This is totally madeup, but I knew this topic is very emotional. I figured this topic would be something that would draw a reader in, while having that small piece of happiness when she sees the star.

The Blind, The Deaf, and The Heartless: This describes how society doesn't really take time to look at the little things in life, especially people. People like to judge books by their covers when there's so much more story underneath. They don't take the time to read them.