Balancing On The Edge | Teen Ink

Balancing On The Edge

By jack2beanie BRONZE, West Des Moines, Iowa
jack2beanie BRONZE, West Des Moines, Iowa

“Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall and fell. Then I fried him up and ate him.”

For a poem, I wasn’t doing so good, but I was really hungry and lunch was right after this class but we “couldn’t leave until you finish your poem”. Whatever. Suddenly, working with a group didn’t seem so bad. Then I remembered the alternative. Who cares if I looked normal, maybe even pretty? The popular girls certainly thought so, and since the popular group spanned all my classes in pairs and even groups of, dare I say it, three. Scary—NOT! Anyway, I dissed the popular crowd so I was shunned throughout the school. I had to start wearing sweatshirts I was getting so many cold shoulders. Brrrrrr right? I dissed the popular by; get this, not adoring them. Talk about egotistical. I’ve been on the other side. The grass isn’t so green. In fact it’s like a seriously harsh desert, emphasis on the harsh. Those girls can get mean. Not in a pull your hair, throw your Barbies down the well mean either. More like being your best friend then steal your diary at a sleepover and post it for everyone to see kind of mean. I would know. I’m a bit of a computer geek so I usually had to post it because the stupid blond who ruled the group couldn’t figure it out. Ahhhh bad times, bad times. Now nobody looks my way and I’m kind of grateful for that. To them I’m just some stuck-up, smart, newbie. Again, whatever. "Hmmmmm", I wondered, "Will they ever like me? Will I ever want them to?"

This is just a short story. I don't know if I'm going to add on or just keep it like this. Please help and tell me what I should do.