Bus 72 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It’s a long ride home, and Bus 72 always rolls at the same pace.
An unpleasant odor seeps from the man sitting to my left, who is dressed in tatters and mutters threats under his breath. “Boy, if you don’t shut up …”

The bus continues to roll along, and my eyes wander toward a girl with a bright red dot on her forehead. I can’t help but stare. Her baby cries, and she starts to sing a soft lullaby. Her baby gazes at me and I avert my eyes, noticing the woman’s dirty sandals and pink sari. The baby starts crying again, and she hushes and rocks it to sleep.

Next to me, the yuppie slurps loudly from his coffee, dressed smartly in a suit and tie, and holding a suitcase that he never lets go of. He sits up straight, eyes staring blankly at the window, though his vision never seems to reach outside. The only time he turns his eyes away is to check his watch.

And then there’s me, sitting there like all the rest, with no regard for anyone or feeling any kind of acknowledgement from them. The bus continues to roll at the same speed, not quite fast or slow. There is barely an illusion of motion.

Little motion and no emotion – that is the way Bus 72 is. Sometimes I wish I could just tell these people who I am and how I feel, then I could listen serenely to their stories.

I wonder how each of them got through the day with such serenity. What does the Indian girl go through every day as she works to raise her child? Then I look at the man next to me. He is on this bus like me every day, always staring lifelessly at the wall. What in the world can he be thinking?

The man’s face doesn’t change when the bus arrives at the next stop. He picks up his briefcase, shoves his other hand in his pocket and walks off. Following him is the Indian woman, still singing softly to keep the baby quiet. The old man lies down and soon I hear snoring.

Nothing changes; the vacant seats echo the demeanor of the passengers. I feel no more alone than before.

I was alone and I still am.

FinnMacCool said...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 10:51 am
Hi this is the writer responsible for this piece. I'm very stoked that so many people seemed to have liked this particular piece. If anyone is interested in some of my other works, I'll glady email you the links or just email it directly to you. I'm always interested in feedback and learning how to improve my writing. Thanks for all the kind comments everyone.

Saint_that,_Sins This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really liked this piece! it was...i don't know how to explain it! it just sorta touched me i guess (lol)anyway great job1 i like the way ur mind works!

FinnMacCool replied...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 10:52 am

Hey this is the writer. Thank you everyone for all the nice comments. I'm very stoked that people like this piece. If you'd like to read more of my work, I'll send you the links. I'm always looking for feedback.

Thanks again,

Kevin L

HTCARIA said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 2:06 am
Oh, gosh! This is brilliant.

BleedingRose said...
May 12, 2010 at 11:02 am

I loved this, very good and very well written!  But I want to see more, you should continue it!

-Rose

DeadlyPoppy said...
Wow. This article was amazingly well written and thoughtful. If everyone thought like this, I think the world would be a better place. More people should take the time to notice the people around them.

maki:p said...
The second to last line was the best. It really rabbed my attention and fully understand the sense of what was happening on the bus. Good job

Theo said...
Apr. 24, 2009 at 12:14 am
My brother is writer and he wrote a very similar short story, and when I first started reading this I though he'd finally posted his work somewhere. This is really good. I might A: go a little longer and B: describe the dull surroundings there passing through. Keep up the good work.

EMOEMY replied...
Minus the brother part I feel the same way as Theo.

Alison K. said...
Apr. 24, 2009 at 12:01 am
I really liked this! good job :) keep writing.

Gossamer said...
Apr. 18, 2009 at 12:18 am
I think this is why some people get into abusive relationships. We ignore each other to the point that we become desperate for any type of connection, so the minute someone who wants to be with us comes along, we do whatever it takes to hold them near us. No matter who they are. No matter what they do.

lovealways_2012 said...
WOW that was really well-written i loved how u said Nothing changes; the vacant seats echo the demeanor of the passengers. I feel no more alone than before.
that is like so powerful i couldn't help but feel the connection

Havanna said...
wow!!you made a bus ride really exciting! Riviting! Loved it! SPEACHLESS!!!!!!!!! keep it up!

Mr.Knightley said...
Really well written. It's like the beginning of an awesome book....

i<3you said...
it was okay. But I think if you developed your main character more, then your ending would have more of an impact on the readers emotions! But other wise, congrats on being published!

Brett95 said...
wow such symbolism so good!!!!

Vance said...
Geeeeeeeez. Really well-written, and the ending was super powerful. (=

Aww, an Indian woman. Haha, of course I have to point that out, being Indian myself.

Was she singing in a different language? These things interest me. ;p

GracieLynn replied...
Well... Do you sing in a different language?