Just Friends This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Final class of the day; I’m almost done. I’ve managed to avoid him for the majority of the day, somehow escaping his attempts at conversation. Always somewhere to go, something to do. Sorry, no time to chat. If I can just stay out of sight for the next fifteen minutes, I’ll be home free.

Rushing into the crowded hall, I push through the swarm of buzzing students. I fight against the flow of bodies, the warm crush that threatens to overwhelm me. Desperate, I keep shoving, longing to reach the safety and quiet of my locker. I’m almost there, just a bit further. Finally I’ve made it, and he’s nowhere in sight.

I open my locker and lean into it, sighing with relief, when I see him. I straighten up, hurriedly shoving everything into that tiny metal box, but my hands aren’t cooperating. My nerves are making me shake, disconnecting my mind from the rest of my body. I struggle to remove myself from the impending situation, but as I start to spring away, he grabs my arm and says, “Now can I talk to you?”

And that’s when my heart sinks. My stomach starts to churn and I know nothing will be the same again.

Somehow I always knew it would come down to this moment. A silent showdown in some empty hallway, the echo of slamming lockers long since faded, but the shouts of students still lingering in the air. He stares at me, expectantly, awaiting an answer. I look at my feet, purposely not listening, not looking at him. I don’t want to hear it, don’t want to see him proclaim his love. It makes no difference; it doesn’t change the situation.

I’ve known him since first grade. I’ve seen him pick his nose and suck at kickball; I watched him grow six inches like a beanstalk and, with all the grace of a newborn calf, give himself a concussion on a shower head. We’ve been friends for what seems like always, but never ventured anywhere beyond that. To be honest, it never occurred to me that he could someday be more than a friend.

“Did you hear me? I said I like you. I like you a lot.”

Don’t say that. Anything but that. Talk to me about the weather, how horrible Mrs. Matthews is with her evil calculus equations. Even sports would be better, (and you know how much I hate sports). Just don’t say those words. Why would you say something that could irreversibly change our friendship?

“I’ve liked you for so long. Didn’t you know?”
Yes, of course I knew. I’m not stupid. I was – I don’t know – I guess I was hoping it was just a crush. Something fleeting, a passing fancy. Puppy love, if you must, but apparently not.

“Say something, anything.”

You don’t mean that, not really. I know what you’re hoping to hear, what you want me to say. I can’t and I won’t. I look at you and I see a brother, a friend, not a boyfriend. I don’t think anything could ever change that in my mind.

Everyone knew we’d end up here. That’s the rub. The whole freaking world probably knew that sooner or later we would clash at opposite ends of the spectrum. My parents, my friends. Hell, even your parents and friends knew it. They told me it was cruel to lead you on, but I never meant to. I never meant for it to go this far; it just never seemed like the right time to say, “Hey, we’ll always be best friends.” I never, ever wanted to hurt you; I just didn’t want to let you go.

I’ve deluded myself for years, lived in denial for so many summers, and now it’s senior year and you’ve finally found the courage to tell me how you feel. I’d love to blame you for this awkwardness, accuse you of letting this non-relationship charade drag on over the years. But truthfully, it’s my fault that we’ve reached this point, and I have to make things right.
I take a deep breath. This is it.

“Yeah. Me too.”

. said...
I agree with this COMPLETELY I actually feel this way about a close friend of mine but now he just thinks its because i think hes ugly >__>

daughter_of_athena This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I liked this. It's unique and comes from an interesting perspective. However, I noticed that in the middle you switched from saying "him" to "you" when referring to the same person. Did you mean to do that? Just a technical thing; it really doesn't take away much from the story, which is still good!

Lonewolf1213 said...
I've been there, and it's so awkward! When will guys realize that best friends don't have to go out?

StoryWeaver said...
This was great! You write really well, make your characters totally relateable and real. Keep writing!

WindDancer said...
Jan. 22, 2011 at 6:54 am:

Phew. I'm glad it turned out that way. You had me on edge there.

Great piece! Keep writing.

AnumK replied...
Feb. 13, 2011 at 11:02 am :

lol

Same here! I simply loved it! :)

musiqqlvr31 said...
Jan. 22, 2011 at 3:26 am:
many ppl feel that way

teeninkwriter said...
excellent. hope evrything turns out ok in the end:)

sarahbug16This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oh my goodness I was glued to this hard core....very emotional

SideraCaeli said...
This is awesome... How come you didn't tell him that you wanted to be just friends?... Instead you changed everything... That's okay I suppose... So was it you, or a friend? Because this story is way to honest and sincere to be just made up... FANTASTIC WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Munchkinz_rule said...
Amazing job! through-out the entire story I was fully involved and it had that pulse to keep the audience reading. it definetly is a relatable topic. keep up the good work :)

writerinfinity said...
Good job; I'm not sure what it is I like about it, just that I like it. 

GothChik95 said...
This story was AWESOME!!!! I know that's probably what everyone else is saying, but i mean it. I wonder, what happened after this story was over...did you date him after all but it ended and you didn't even have a friendship when it was over, or did you actually turn him down after you admitted feelings for him, true or false. What happened???

pics-with-no-paint said...
Beautiful.

ilovepolkadots said...
Dec. 31, 2010 at 1:08 am:
I loved the way you wrote this.

Israel70717 said...
why wouldn't you just tell him from the begining?? well thats not a good question is it lol no but i like the story! i have hear many of these stories before and it has happend to me before too. I hate that akward feeling you are left with and then the feeling doesnt go away it seems as if it gets werse but then without realizing it you will get over it!!!

Azrael said...
I love this story.i have a best guy frend who I knew since 2nd and ive heard that he likes me,but we just cant admit it

abeatleschick94 said...
WONDERFUL. LOVE it! very nice :)

ifyoureallyknEWme24 said...
I can relate! W-O-W. If this is true... which i doubt.... then i have the same issue. haha. but if its not==thanx for writing about it anyway;) it made me feel like i wasnt alone

Panda500 said...

well its traditional exept the end its ok