Just Friends This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Final class of the day; I’m almost done. I’ve managed to avoid him for the majority of the day, somehow escaping his attempts at conversation. Always somewhere to go, something to do. Sorry, no time to chat. If I can just stay out of sight for the next fifteen minutes, I’ll be home free.

Rushing into the crowded hall, I push through the swarm of buzzing students. I fight against the flow of bodies, the warm crush that threatens to overwhelm me. Desperate, I keep shoving, longing to reach the safety and quiet of my locker. I’m almost there, just a bit further. Finally I’ve made it, and he’s nowhere in sight.

I open my locker and lean into it, sighing with relief, when I see him. I straighten up, hurriedly shoving everything into that tiny metal box, but my hands aren’t cooperating. My nerves are making me shake, disconnecting my mind from the rest of my body. I struggle to remove myself from the impending situation, but as I start to spring away, he grabs my arm and says, “Now can I talk to you?”

And that’s when my heart sinks. My stomach starts to churn and I know nothing will be the same again.

Somehow I always knew it would come down to this moment. A silent showdown in some empty hallway, the echo of slamming lockers long since faded, but the shouts of students still lingering in the air. He stares at me, expectantly, awaiting an answer. I look at my feet, purposely not listening, not looking at him. I don’t want to hear it, don’t want to see him proclaim his love. It makes no difference; it doesn’t change the situation.

I’ve known him since first grade. I’ve seen him pick his nose and suck at kickball; I watched him grow six inches like a beanstalk and, with all the grace of a newborn calf, give himself a concussion on a shower head. We’ve been friends for what seems like always, but never ventured anywhere beyond that. To be honest, it never occurred to me that he could someday be more than a friend.

“Did you hear me? I said I like you. I like you a lot.”

Don’t say that. Anything but that. Talk to me about the weather, how horrible Mrs. Matthews is with her evil calculus equations. Even sports would be better, (and you know how much I hate sports). Just don’t say those words. Why would you say something that could irreversibly change our friendship?

“I’ve liked you for so long. Didn’t you know?”
Yes, of course I knew. I’m not stupid. I was – I don’t know – I guess I was hoping it was just a crush. Something fleeting, a passing fancy. Puppy love, if you must, but apparently not.

“Say something, anything.”

You don’t mean that, not really. I know what you’re hoping to hear, what you want me to say. I can’t and I won’t. I look at you and I see a brother, a friend, not a boyfriend. I don’t think anything could ever change that in my mind.

Everyone knew we’d end up here. That’s the rub. The whole freaking world probably knew that sooner or later we would clash at opposite ends of the spectrum. My parents, my friends. Hell, even your parents and friends knew it. They told me it was cruel to lead you on, but I never meant to. I never meant for it to go this far; it just never seemed like the right time to say, “Hey, we’ll always be best friends.” I never, ever wanted to hurt you; I just didn’t want to let you go.

I’ve deluded myself for years, lived in denial for so many summers, and now it’s senior year and you’ve finally found the courage to tell me how you feel. I’d love to blame you for this awkwardness, accuse you of letting this non-relationship charade drag on over the years. But truthfully, it’s my fault that we’ve reached this point, and I have to make things right.
I take a deep breath. This is it.

“Yeah. Me too.”

M.S.S.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 4, 2010 at 12:09 pm:
I really love this story...you really made it realistic....i just have one question....the character is saying to herself that she doesn't feel the same way but at the end she says "Yeah. Me too." Is she lying or was she lying when she was telling herself she didn't like him back.

aspiring.author.09 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 4, 2010 at 2:46 pm :
I took from it that she was lying to herself the whole time, (sort of in denial) and then realized what she really felt when the time came around (when he told her how he felt). :)

SharpestSatire said...
Feb. 4, 2010 at 9:50 am:
Soooo amazing. I have a best guy friend like that. I can only hope it won't turn out like this! She (the character of your story) really lied and said basically: "Yeah. Me too. I love you."?!?! Wow!

eyelash~wishes said...
Jan. 21, 2010 at 4:29 am:
I really like the mood you set in this story. Especially how you described the voices of all the students that seemed to echo. That made it clear that to the main character time seemed to slow.

caughtinaxm0ment said...
Jan. 14, 2010 at 12:00 am:
I Love This (:

dancingdaisiesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
oh ym god this piece is so true. It somewhat reminds me of my piece, "denies of a hopeful heart"( not yet published) the only difference is mine doesn't have a happy ending.:(

weirdonpurpose said...
so tell us... we are dying to know... was this a true experience?

SportyZo77 replied...
Jan. 13, 2010 at 7:55 pm :
I KNOW. Please tell!

kaykay said...
nice language, i luv yer first person point of view thing...very realistic i oculd c it playin out in my mind. PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE do a sequel. the ending was cool but i wanna hear even more!! keep it up, yer an awesome writer!!

kheart replied...
Jan. 13, 2010 at 7:24 pm :
Great I love this! Please comment and rate my stuff. I like this it defines some relationships your no sure you want to have.

spartanwriter said...
Awesome story, amazing writing. Keep it up!

ilovetinkerbell said...
I really like this. It is a similar way with me. I have two boys who really like me but the one I only see as a friend who will always be there for me. The other I see a guy i want to spend the rest of my life with. I know how it feels not wanting to hurt the one you only see as a friend.
Great job by the way.

sexxi nik said...
Jan. 13, 2010 at 7:33 am:
i liked your writing it was sweet but also sad

sleeplessdreamer said...
Dec. 30, 2009 at 10:02 am:
In a really weird way that was kind of sweet... but kind of sad. Bittersweet... I love your writing! Great job!

InkThroughTheseVeins said...
Dec. 22, 2009 at 11:41 am:
It was AMAZING. I've been here before, lots of times, but WOW, that took courage. Amazingly visual. It felt as though I was actually there.

AzureGal said...
Dec. 7, 2009 at 4:22 am:
Aww!! Loved it!! And i like the ending LOL.. =)

bookworm4ever99 said...
This was amazing! I've been in this situation before, I loved it! Wonderfully put together, did you realize that you liked him? Or did you just want to stay friends and the only way was to not hurt his feelings?

JournalEntry replied...
May 2, 2010 at 8:33 pm :
Wow really good I didnt expect the end though Good Job

ashley2055 said...
loved it, so did she actually like him? or was she just trying to be nice? becuase it seemed like she liked him in the end even before she said it. Great story

Sharpie96 said...
wooooow I really liked this peice! it's very moving!!!