A Fantasitic Day | Teen Ink

A Fantasitic Day

By AQuietPerson SILVER, Columbus, Pennsylvania
AQuietPerson SILVER, Columbus, Pennsylvania

"You have such a unique way with words"

-Mrs. Peterson

This story begins on a warm, Saturday morning. A young lady named Ruth was watching TV while her parents were out. Ruth was lounging around the house while her dad was at work at Wal-Mart. She relished the time she had the house to herself. She was comfy in her flannel pajama pants and fuzzy slippers. Ruth was watching a random channel on television. It was an old cartoon with a dog and a cat chasing each other around what looked like New York City. She was drifted in and out of consciousness. She cam back to reality abruptly. She blinked her eyes tiredly and sat up slowly on the couch. It took her a minute to realize that the phone was ringing. She tossed the blankets off her body and ran to answer the phone. She slid across the kitchen tile and almost passed the phone as well.

"Hello?" she rasped.

"Hey, Ruth," Cameron replied.

"Oh, hey, Cam," She remarked. "What do you want?"

"Just wondering if you wanted to come over and hang out or something?" She heard his brother, Jonah, begging in the background.

"Oh, yea, we just never get to see each other anymore," she chortled. They both laughed. "Sure, I'll come over," she said after a long pause. Both of the twins started cheering.

"Cool, I can not wait," he replied.

Jonah and Cameron were Ruth's best friends since preschool. Cameron and Jonah were identical twins who live a couple blocks away in a large house with their uncle. At school all of her classes were shared with one brother or the other. They spent a lot of time together and her parents approved of both of them, which said a lot. Her parents were really religious people and they didn't like her talking about boys let alone spending most of her life with them.

After the conversation was over she put the phone back on the receiver. Ruth walked slowly back into the living room, as to avoid falling on to the cold floor. She folded up her blankets neat and set them on the end of the couch where she had found them. She clicked the television off and ran upstairs and changed into a pair of old blue jeans and a green 'Save the Earth' T-shirt. She put her sneakers on, tied them up, grabbed her jacket, then was, happily on her way to her friends' home.

The brothers lived six blocks down the quiet street. She walked slowly wondering why Jonah would be so excited for her visit. They had never called her at home before. They always just waited until school to talk to about something or to plan to do anything.

She stopped suddenly, as a man walked past; he looked strange because he had a cat sitting on his head, like a hat. A black fluffy, fat cat that reminded Ruth of Garfield, if he got his fur dyed. The man was dressed in light khaki pants and a gray shirt that was buttoned all the way up to the last button, to where it looked like it was choking the man. He was wearing a tie that had a cat on it with big eyes, that stared at her just like the man was. It looked like it was watching her or staring threw her. She had to think. It was just an image, it can't be possible for that to happen. As Ruth continued to stare at him, he seemed to look even more annoyed. As he walked, faster, stuck out his chest like a conceited rooster. Ruth stood still for an extra couple of minutes, dumbfounded.

Cameron and Jonah lived at the end of a dead end road in a large, old brick house. The entire framework was pure white which never had a speck of dirt on it. There was a big white balcony on the second floor in the back. Ruth remembered in the summertime Jonah, Cameron and she would sit up there and look at the beautiful scenery. The view was of a large cow field that belonged to a farmer in a neighboring town. If you sat there like they did you would be able to see the cows grazing and the dark forest on the right. You'd here the birds chirping and the wind blowing. Sitting there made time stop.

She walked up the gray and black stoned walk way and climbed the dozen stairs to the porch. She strolled over to the sliding glass door, there were two doorbells and she remembered that only the bottom bell worked correctly. She rang the bell, and took a step back and rocked on her heals. She heard the ringing of the bell threw the house. She heard footsteps coming towards the door. When the door opened Cameron was standing behind it. She expected his dad to answer because he usually did.

"Hey, Cam, Sorry, it took so long. I would have been faster, but I saw this really weird guy. He had a cat on his," She was pointing to head trying to explain her endeavor but stopped when she noticed a very confused expression on her friend's face.

"Do I know you?" he asked, slowly, "Are you trying to sell me something?"

"No?" Ruth answered confused "I'm your best friend? Ruth?"

'I've never seen you before,' He said, slower.

Sounds of footsteps came down the hallway. A voice followed, "Who was at the door? Who's is she?" Jonah said when he saw Ruth.

"Do you know her, Jonah?" Cameron asked.

"No," he replied.

"But guys, we go to school together, I'm your best friend," Ruth begged.

"I've never seen you before," Jonah said.

Ruth finally gave up. She just wanted her friends back and for this joke to an end. "I'm sorry, I must have the wrong house."

Cameron started to close the door as she turned to walk down the steps. As she turned the corner onto a new street, she started to hear a din. It was a high beeping noise, but it was really loud. She listened very intently. It was coming from the sky, unwillingly she looked up above her head.

A huge disk shaped machine hovered, high in the sky. It had colored lights blinking in a circle on the bottom of it.

"A UFO," she whispered.

She couldn't move she was stone still in the position she was in. She was hypnotized. Time seemed to have stopped as the machine seemed like it was staring at her. Ruth had a strange feeling that she was been watched by something. Something that could see her but she couldn't see it.

Soon the UFO flew away. She slowly moved her head, so that she was now staring across the street. The man with the cat was sitting on a bench, staring at her with wide eyes. The cat was now on his lap, purring. She could hear it purring, from across the street.

"Quit staring at me!" Ruth shouted. She was scared and confused.

The man just shrugged his shoulders and continued petting his cat. Then the cat crawled up to his head, still purring. The man stood up and walked away.

Ruth began walking a little faster as the wind began blowing. As she walked faster to a jog, the wind blew harder. She stopped as she saw, at the end of the road. The sky was turning an orange color. The UFO came back and appeared to be hovering above her house. She watched in awe as a tornado, wider then the street, formed at the end of the street. She tried to run, but she couldn't move. The tornado was coming straight toward her.

She felt her feet leave the ground as she was lifted up into the tornado. As she was wiped around in the wind she saw Cameron's house, her parents, and the creepy guy was hanging on his cat for dear life.

All of a sudden Ruth woke with a start. It was all a dream. She was breathing hard and her face was sweaty. She was safe under her blankets in her bed. She whipped the sweat off her forehead with her blanket. A smile crept onto her face as she silently fell back asleep.

on Sep. 6 2010 at 7:41 am

"You have such a unique way with words"

-Mrs. Peterson

Thank you and yea i've always had problems with my grammar haha but thanks sometimes i read things over and think how did i come up with that lol (:

on Sep. 6 2010 at 7:40 am

"You have such a unique way with words"

-Mrs. Peterson

Thats nice to hear because i wrote this for school and usually things i write for school are boring and uneventful so thats nice to hear. lol  i didn't even think of Alice in Wonderland that's cool (:

Amiee said...
on Sep. 2 2010 at 3:32 am
this story's fun! it's not like a serious one, or a real fantasy one, kinda in the between. i liked how you you describe things in some parts and when i was reading it, it reminded me of Alice in Wonderland, the cat bbeing the Cheshire cat of course =)

on Sep. 2 2010 at 12:39 am
AEAluvsanimals SILVER, Yorba Linda, California

"All creatures bleed the same blood. He who spills the blood of any of god's creatures, he spills the blood of man." - Private Journals , Landerath
Dragon's Milk.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."- Dumbledore
Harry Potter 1

I agree with CallMeFelix about the pronouns but I like the guy with the hat-such a well defined character. You really captured the shifting reality of dreams and created a very fun fantasy. I like how she smiled at the end and how it's called A Fantastic day.  Very mysterious-almost sarcastic.

P.S. Please resd family matters

on Aug. 29 2010 at 8:46 pm

"You have such a unique way with words"

-Mrs. Peterson

Thanks that's great to hear. It's alittle weird seeing that about an essay i wrote for school haha but really thank you means lots (:

on Aug. 28 2010 at 5:28 pm
ForeverFelix PLATINUM, Catasauqua, Pennsylvania

Daydreams can be worse than nightmares, but that never stops me.

Oh, I also don't understand why she smiled at the end after waking up from a dream involving a creepy guy with a cat where she ended up in a tornado O.o

on Aug. 28 2010 at 5:27 pm

It was a great story, but some of your sentences don't seem to flow, and I think you should watch your pronoun use...there are times you should have used names instead of pronouns and times you should have used pronouns instead of names. The storyline was great, though. =) Keep writing!

on Aug. 28 2010 at 8:33 am
NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland

I don't believe in hell but I believe in my parent's couch-- Watsky

Lol, this was a great story! In the beginning I thought it would be one of the 'and then  I woke up' stories, but in the middle I got caught up so much in the story line I was totally suprised at the end!

Great story, I loved how realistic your dialogue was!