Summer Blues

Nobody Came

I went to the backyard tonight. The sun was deep yellow and the air was clear. I could smell summer in the neighborhood.

But when I closed my eyes and tried to feel them there, nobody came. I could sense their flavors, could feel that they should be with me, but the yard was empty.

I Think He Was a Rocker

We lay in the hammock tonight, just one of them and me. He said his name was Jasper. He was young, with long dark hair and a beard. I think he was a rocker.

We just swung in the hammock and listened to the birds get ready for bed. I told Jasper how one of them, one of his kind, used to show up in my dreams. I couldn’t remember his name but I described him to Jasper and Jasper said he’d seen him before.

Will I see him in the yard sometime soon? Will he be back in my dreams? I don’t know, but I liked him.

Jasper and I said good-bye after a while. And when I was finally inside and looked out the window, it was a lot darker than I’d realized.

They Keep Touching Me

The one from my dreams showed up. He looked different … he looked strange. I can’t decide if I still like him.

When I look at my mother, I think of how she’ll miss me. When I look at my brothers, I think of how they’ll have to grow up without me.

And I just don’t know.

What I do know is that they keep touching me while I sleep. It’s finishing. I’m pretty sure.

Summer is Ending

The crickets are chirping faster. Summer is ending. It’s time to finish the journal. I am going to bring it with me when I go into the yard tonight.

One Year Later

These summer nights remind me of her. She used to go into the backyard all by herself. Then we found her in the hammock. Now I close my eyes and see my daughter lying still. Maybe next year will bring a happier kind of summer and I’ll be able to see her for who she was, not the sick child lying dead in the hammock. Sometimes I think I see her swinging out there. And it’s funny but sometimes I think I see her talking to someone.

lily1411 said...
I loved this, very short, sweet. I don't really understand what's happening by the end, but it's just that mysterious for me to want to read it:) you should read some of my stuff:D
BaiLiHua This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks very much, Alchive!