The Vision | Teen Ink

The Vision

By LuvDove BRONZE, Oceanport, New Jersey
LuvDove BRONZE, Oceanport, New Jersey

Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.

- Will Rogers

I awoke in a haze, unsure if I was truly awake or still dreaming. I forced myself to sit up, and turned on the lamp that sat adjacent my bed. I sat there, in that position, for almost an hour, replaying the dream over in my mind, assuring I wouldn't later forget it. I then turned with full intent to face the window, but hesitated at the last moment. I tried to convince myself it was only a dream, that tomorrow morning I wouldn't remember, that nothing would come of what I had seen. But I knew this was different then any other dream I had ever had. It was more life like, and it showed a terrible fate to three of the least deserving people I knew. I understood what I had to do. I turned abruptly to the window and pulled back the blinds before I could think twice.

My suburban lane, usually abuzz with children, bikers, and lawn mowers, sat empty at the early hour. Though I could barely see the house across the street from mine, I forced myself to pretend the view from my window pictured exactly what my dream had shown. In my dream it was not two in the morning, but instead sometime in late afternoon on a cool summer day. Mrs. Hefem next store wore a brightly colored house coat and waved at my favorite people on the street, the Conner's. I babysat for their daughter. They were always the first to help out, and had a love for each other I had never before seen. Anyway, the Conner's were walking down the street when suddenly an old pick-up truck appeared. I paused for a moment in my recollection, not quite sure what came next. After a moment of deep thought I remember. The man behind the wheel was none other then the town drunk, Wayne. He was driving straight for the Conner's!!! They didn't see him! They weren't moving! He hit them hard and fast and kept driving upon collision!! It was the most frightening dream had ever had. I didn't even know I was screaming until my mom came to liberate me from my terrified state of mind.

I sat at the window for a week straight, just waiting. I knew the dream foretold something, but wasn't sure that something was the Conner's death. After that week I finally left the window, convinced that I was just paranoid. But I couldn't shake the feeling something was wrong. I returned to my post. The moment I sat on my bed and peered out the window it happened. I saw Mrs. Hefem dressed in a house coat, THE house coat the dream featured. I saw the Conner's walking down the street, pushing with them their daughter's stroller. I checked my watch; it read two thirty six. I didn't wait to see the car. I ran down the stairs faster then I ever did before.

I screamed as I ran to where the Conner's strolled.I could see the car coming closer and closer with every moment. It was hard to reach the Conner's before Wayne's truck did, but my love for the family, as well as pure adrenaline, got me within a few yards very quickly. I shrieked at the top of my lungs for them to jump on the curb. My loudness got there attention. They looked back and saw the pick-up coming toward them. James Conner pushed his wife on to the curb, and forced himself and the stroller onto a lawn in a matter of seconds. My yell had also caught Wayne's attention, who swerved to avoid where the Conner's had stood. He didn't look before this abrupt action, and didn't notice me in his way. The impact jolted me backwards to wear I now rest. Feeling a pain in my chest, knowing that I would never again see the sun again I had to ask myself was it worth it? I looked up to see Kelly Conner run toward her child, and felt James Connor trying to resuscitate me. I saw them as good parents, good people, good friends. As I heard my heart stop beating, and felt my eyes roll back in my head I knew I had done the right thing.

LuvDove BRONZE said...
on Jan. 22 2010 at 11:50 am
LuvDove BRONZE, Oceanport, New Jersey

- Will Rogers

Thanks Young Mick Jaggar!!!!!

on Jan. 22 2010 at 7:21 am
Had to check this piece out to..nice

on Jan. 20 2010 at 7:06 am
O my goodness...I love it...the piece had personality...i found myself on edge, especially at the end when the girl dies...excellant work!!!

GuessWho said...
Even better! (You told me about this one!)