Terror In The Halls | Teen Ink

Terror In The Halls

December 17, 2009
By Nathan Ream BRONZE, West Chester, Ohio
Nathan Ream BRONZE, West Chester, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Cops everywhere, S.W.A.T. walking out the front door. News Crews reporting on what had just happened, parents running to hug there saved children. That's what it looked like, after the school was attacked.
As I think of what happened, the images are storming back now. It was a normal morning for me, I got up, ate breakfast, and went to the bus. I don't like my first two periods.

“Please pull out your homework,” Mr. Monsen commanded, “I will come around to check it”

As Mr. Monsen came around to check it, I was trying to finish it,still someone I hated told the teacher. “Hey Mr. Monsen, Jack didn't do his homework!” Bill, a person that bullied me, said it.

“Jack, is this true?”

“Yes...except I didn't have time last night. I had to write a story, clean my room,and-”

“I don't want to hear about it, you had the whole weekend to do it and you didn't,” Mr. Monsen explained. “Maybe I should have a little chat with your parents. What do you think of that?”

“I think that's just peachy,” I smirked humorously and annoyed.

“Jack, I want to see you at the end of the day.” With that command, the bell rang out. It was like and angle to me, ending my humiliations just as quickly as they had began.

2nd period went smoothly,no one annoyed me,told me what to do. We just watched a movie on ecosystem. With that, my favorite class was next, Drama Class. They were doing a sad play, and I had the main role. The teacher said that I was a natural at acting. Unfortunately I found out that the class was removed form the school due to everybody in the play quit the class. So I now had a study hall. As the day went by, I got to 4th period.

By this time, I was enraged because I found out the reason everyone quit Drama Class. When I entered the room, Bill tripped me, I fell face first onto the floor.

“Want some help? Too bad!” And with that, Bill kicked my books across the floor. He broke my sculpture, which took me a month to complete and I had to turn it in tomorrow. Everyone laugh at me, I wanted to run away to cry. Except all I could do is stand up to pick my stuff up. As I was doing this, a girl, about 5'6'' with exceedingly long blonde hair, came over to help me with my stuff.

“I'm sorry, Bill is just insecure with himself.” With that she shot him a dark and threatening look. She was a cute girl, she was very smart too.

“Thanks,” that was the only thing that I could think of in the presence of such a beautiful girl. That was a lame word too.

After 4th and 5th period came lunch. At lunch I sat alone. I always packed peanut jelly sandwich, I hated PBJ. It was nasty. Except that was the only thing I knew how to make. “ I wish my mom would make me something,” I moaned to myself.

“Why don't you make something yourself?” My head shot up! I was confused on how long she had been standing there. Where did she come form? She so quiet! I just casually answered “I don't know how to cook.”

“Well, I can teach you later if you want?” I wish that could happen, but it'll never happen. Bill will make sure of that one. But there are things I could ask of her...

“Can I ask you a question?”I asked, trying to sound casual and calm.

“Yeah, what is it?” Her voice sounded soothing.

“What's your name?” I think I embarrassed her.

“Pssh, that's easy! It's Olivia Jekins.”

We talked the whole lunch bell, when the bell did finally ring, it felt like a bomb just blew up in my face. A guy, about 6'1'', slick, with black on and a posy surrounding him came over, taking Olivia away from me. I was hopeful that lunch would never end. She made me feel like the world had stopped for a couple of minutes. What I didn't know is that it would, but for a different reason.

After lunch the principle called over the PA system telling everyone to go to the gym. Our gym was huge with two basketball hoops, and bleachers so big that the whole school can fit on them. When I entered the gym I sat near the bottom of the bleachers.

“You will do as I say! I have this school surrounded with my gang and have full control of this situation! I want...”That's it, I lost the conversation. That made me sweat instantly. As I got my seat a man came out, he had an AK-47 in his hand. When he came out, silence fell over the other students too.

“My name is Muhammad Al'ha. I have taken over your school and I am holding you hostage. If you resist me, I will kill you with no hesitation. For some of you, huh, it will save your parents the trouble of doing it themselves.

“I need six volunteers to offer themselves to Allah. You have five minutes to make your minds up, if you don't choose, I will choose.

After some screaming, Muhammad choose because we couldn't choose.

“I think I will take these girls right here. Abraham, seizes these ladies!Now!”

After a brief struggle, Abraham seized the girls and lined them up in front of a video camera. I didn't know the first 5 girls, but the last one was Olivia Jekins. I will not let her be killed!

“I will kill these ladies if my demands are not met by 1:00 p.m. Is that clear chief of police Alan?” I couldn't hear the other end of the conversation, so I don't know what Alan said.

“Oh, is that so! Then I am going to kill the first hostage on national television! Abraham, fetch me my AK-47 and make it snappy!”

His English was very good. I wonder where he learned it. When Abraham came back with the gun, I realized that Muhammad was serious. As a spur-of-the-moment decision, I leaped with all my might out of the bleachers hitting Abraham on the way down, knocking him out cold! I got up and was shot twice by hand gun,but it didn't phase me at that moment. I charged one of Muhammad's hench men and accidentally killed him, I don't know how, but I didn't care at the moment, after killing him, I charged Muhammad and knocked him on his back.

“Give up now! I will shoot you!”

I managed to grab a .38 from the guy I knocked out, I had it pointed at Muhammad. Right as I said that, Muhammad shot me in the leg knocking me down with retching pain in my leg. As I scrambled to my feet, He had picked up the gun and had it pointed at me.

“DON'T GET UP! I will kill you instead of the girls!”

Ignoring his threat I got up and started sprinting towards him.

“ What are you doing! It is pointless to resist me!”

“No! It's not pointless!” With saying that, I charged him again, he fired at me and missed. I hit him dead on in the chest, knocking his breath away. As I did that, the S.W.A.T. burst through the do, I got up.

“Please sit next to the wall,”one of them said to me, in a extremely clam, slow voice. So I did. While I was sitting next to the wall, Olivia came over and sat next to me.

“Thank you for saving my life!” with that, she hugged me followed by a kiss. That's when I knew that everything would turn out all right.

As I was sitting there, I eventually passed out from pain. I awoke in the hospital surround by friends and family. Olivia was holding my hand.