The Boy who Stole my Heart

I wake up two hours early every morning for hope you’ll so much as glance at me. But you don’t. She steals all your looks, your words, your attention. I focus on acting in a way I don’t act for hope you’ll notice me.

I’ve been going to school with you since the first grade and I wouldn’t be surprised if you didn’t know my name.

I know more about you than anyone would imagine. Your favorite color, food, song; the kind of car you drive. I know your parents’ names.

All of this knowledge not because I’m a stalker like you may think if you knew I knew this, but because I pay attention.

You’re not happy with her. You fake it. You’re going to be something amazing one day. I promise you. And I’ll be there to congratulate you, silently. You won’t know me though.

At our high school reunion I’ll look at you and think, ‘Wow, that’s him. Star quarterback on the varsity football team, star player of the basketball team, most popular guy in school, the captain cheerleader’s boyfriend.’

You’ll have gone on to be a doctor who played college sports and dated any girl you wanted.

The only thing that will be different is that I will have accomplished a lot too. In fact, I’ll maybe be a little happier than you. And the fact that you won’t know me won’t hurt. I’ll still be happy for you. You just won’t know it.

So it seems to me it’s your loss, not mine.

littlewriter97 said...
WOW, tht was really good, and ur right, it IS his loss!!!

DEMON said...
Ah, love, you are a heartbroken girl, and "The Boy Who Stole My Heart" is quite a work of emotional art. It was a realistic, and endearing story that I suppose many girls know well. Perhaps my story will give insight into a boy's heart...
"RAZED EXPECTATIONS"
Wisps of smoke danced into the wintry air from my lips, creating ornate designs that could never be replicated. I carefully tilted the corners of my lips into a smile that I meant to be wry. Of course,... (more »)

DEMON said...
"RAZED EXPECTATIONS" continues...
Her lovely green eyes shifted into hard emeralds.
“What do you know about me, Dare? And what’s so wrong with having dreams? And why are you talking to me like that? I was simply commenting on the sunset.” She tossed her red curls, clearly miffed.
I lifted my chin, and blew smoke in her face. It was easier on me when she was angry. I don’t know why she bothered with me. Why she was brave enough to confront ... (more »)

valwriter23 said...
oh this is really nicely written.

OnyxDivine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Keep strong, girl. its definitely his loss and not yours.
you're gonna be something amazing one day too :)

Pensivegurl said...
Whoo! Go girl! That was really clever! >.<