See, You Lived | Teen Ink

See, You Lived

By cheacliatt SILVER, Martinez, Georgia
cheacliatt SILVER, Martinez, Georgia

It wasn't raining that day we met. It wasn't even nighttime. This was unlike any expectation I've ever held in my heart. I blew out the flames of compassion when I met you, and I think it was then that I finally lost my innocence. Yet I didn't notice when you finally plucked that string from my soul. Isn't it funny though? That I didn't notice? I'm not blaming you, my dear, I'm just telling a joke.

And I think I'm the punchline.

We never danced either. You never asked me to dance. That was a first for a heartless creature. My life twirls by to soulless nights with romance heavy in the smokey air. Louis Armstrong singing in a raspy, harmonic tune that only people with the Blues could ever understand. And a shadow asked me to dance. And I said, "I cannot dance with Shadows, for I still have density." It walked out of my life with the rest of my sanity.

And I think I just laughed when that Happened.

They say true art comes from those who can't cope with reality. "They" are people I made up in my head. Countless figures without faces. That's how I see the world now, didn't you know? I see it through gray blobs and faceless angels. I walk through an endless gray-march. Almost being suffocated with their nothingness.

And they're all laughing at me.

Yet this doesn't provoke despair. Actually, it's far from it. This is growth, I believe. When you understand what kind of monster you truly are, that's when you can become a true hero. Not one of those ignorant beings that dream of fame and glory, but one that saves society from itself. And I won't stand by while you throw yourself away. I can still hold your hand. And we stare at each others empty husks.

And everyone will laugh, including myself, for I am The Comedian.