The Cliff | Teen Ink

The Cliff

By driftingaway SILVER, Ottawa, Other
driftingaway SILVER, Ottawa, Other

A small child and her brother stood at the very tip of the cliff, watching the waves lap lazily at the beaches below. She clung to her pillar of strength as the clouds rolled playfully across the bright blue sky. The child inched forward, bit by bit, until she was staring at a never-ending expanse of water. She quickly ducked back into her brother’s chest.
“Don’t make me jump,” she whimpered. “I can’t do it.”
He was patient. He bent down until they were the same height and placed his hands on her shoulders as a gesture of protection. “Why?”
She shuddered as she imagined the raging, unpredictable waves that would surely carry her away. “I’m scared,” she finally whispered.
He smiled ever so slightly. “Of what?”
“Of losing myself. Of not being able to go back.” She paused, and stared into his deep black eyes. “I’m scared of leaving you.”
For a moment, he said nothing. He just held her close. Finally, he steered her to face the open waters and whispered into her ear.
“It’s scary isn’t it? Not knowing where you’ll end up; not knowing what’s to come.”
She nodded, not speaking.
Then he turned her back around so she was facing him again. He saw the pain that echoed in her eyes and closed his own for a moment, fighting the urge to take her back into his arms.
When he opened his eyes and saw light again, he smiled. It was a sad, almost nostalgic smile, but a smile nonetheless. He turned his face to the sun, letting the gentle breeze pepper his face.
“Sometimes…” he whispered. He stopped, cleared his throat, and spoke louder.
“Sometimes, you have to jump. Sometimes, you realize there’s no place for you here anymore. Sometimes, you have to let go of the past so you can reach for the future. You might be afraid to relinquish who you are, but sometimes, it’s the only way to live. Sometimes, you just have to take that leap of faith and hope the winds will carry you through.”
She stared at him, bewildered, not knowing what to say. Her eyes were wide with the agony she bore.
He turned back to her and stroked her cheek one last time.
“Have faith.”
His words were carried away by the wind and scattered everywhere, until she could hear his voice coming from all directions.
“Have faith, have faith, have faith,” the clouds chanted.
“Let go…” the waves whispered.
A single tear rolled down her cheek. Gently, she reached up to touch his face.
“I love you.”
Then she turned to face the sun, and she jumped.

on Dec. 25 2009 at 11:25 am
A work of art, both touching and moving. This made me cry when I read it... great job :)