The Man in the Wheelchair | Teen Ink

The Man in the Wheelchair

There once was a man who lived his life in a wheelchair. He wheeled everywhere he went, and he could never stand, no matter how hard he tried. One day, while wheeling along the streets of his city, he saw a woman and fell instantly in love. She was selling jewelry she had made on a table on the side of the street. She made necklaces and earrings and they, like her, were beautiful. The man in the wheelchair wanted to talk to her, but he was embarrassed by his wheelchair, so he said nothing. He bought a necklace and left. Before leaving though, he spotted a cardboard name tag propped up on the woman's table. He read her name, and it too was beautiful.
That evening, the man in the wheelchair looked up the woman's name in the phone book. He found it, but he was afraid to call her, so he wrote a letter instead. He did not mail the letter, because it was too important to trust the postman with. The following morning, the man in the wheelchair wheeled over to the woman's house with the letter. When he got to the house though, he was faced with a short flight of steps leading up to the door and the mailbox. He could not scale the steps, so he asked a stranger on the street to do it for him.
The following week, the man in the wheelchair found a letter in his mailbox. It was from the woman, and it was a very nice letter. The man in the wheelchair was very happy, and he decided to write another letter. Again he delivered the letter to the woman's house and again he asked a stranger to take the letter up the steps for him. Again the woman wrote back, and again the man in the wheelchair was very happy.
The man in the wheelchair began writing the woman every week, and every week she would write back. Every week he would wheel over to her house and every week he would ask a stranger to take the letter up the steps for him. Sometimes there was no one on the street, so the man in the wheelchair would wait for someone to walk by. Sometimes he waited for a very long time. It was worth it though, because he loved the woman and he knew she would always write back.
One day, while the man in the wheelchair was waiting to deliver his letter, the woman came out of her house. She walked down the steps and saw the man in the wheelchair holding a letter. The man in the wheelchair turned to wheel away, but the woman stopped him. She asked him if he was the man who sent her a letter every week and he said yes. She smiled, and they began to talk. She walked and he wheeled and they both talked.
Later that evening, the man in the wheelchair thought about talking with the woman. It had made him love her even more and it had also made him very happy. He hoped he would see her again sometime. Next week, while waiting to deliver his letter, the woman came out of her house again. Again they talked while she walked and he wheeled, and again the man in the wheelchair was very happy. Again, he loved the woman even more.
The man in the wheelchair began talking with the woman while she walked and he wheeled every week, and every week they grew closer together. Sometimes, when the man in the wheelchair got tired, the woman would push his chair for him.
One of these times, another man approached them. The other man began talking with the woman, and he seemed very angry. He said that the woman had lied to him. Then he said that she would never lie again, and he pulled out a gun. He fired the gun. The man in the wheelchair stood up, blocking the bullet with his body. He wasn't the man in the wheelchair any more.