New School | Teen Ink

New School

September 8, 2009
By ilovemusic1957 BRONZE, Park City, Utah
ilovemusic1957 BRONZE, Park City, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I stood in front of the big glass sliding doors, not able to bring myself to walk into the school. I was relishing my last free moments. When I walked into this new school, it would also be the beginning of a new life also.
I took a deep breath and picked my foot up, setting it in line of the motion detector. The huge doors slide open. As I made the step that put me into the lobby, the air conditioning hit me, whirling my hair around my face, knotting it.
In that same step I took off down the hallway. I knew that if I hesitated, I would turn back around and head back outside. To where I was free.
I had reached the end of the hall by then. There were two hallways going opposite ways. Not knowing which way to go, I decided to go right.
My eyes scanned the teacher names and room numbers; searching for mine. In no time at all, I was at the end of this hall, and still hadn't found my classroom.
Annoyed, I whirled on my heel and stalked off in the opposite direction. At the intercection, I didn't even pause. I started down the other hallway, again scanning the signs outside the doors.
At the very end of the hall, I found my room. It figured. Again, I found myself frozen outside the door. I stepped to the side, out of sight from the window. I didn't want anyone to see me an come get me to come in.
I inhaled deeply, taking in the scent of the door, which smelled like warm wood. I set my hand on the cold metal handle and opened it quietly. Or tried to. It squeaked, and I wasn't surprised given my luck. I meekly stepped into the classroom. 23 faces looked up at me.