The Adventures of a Raindrop

It was just like any other day. I was hanging out with my best friends, Evan and Brian, laughing over some joke Brian had told. That’s when I realized the sky below was darkening. Looking closer, I noticed we were above the ocean, but it looked much more dangerous than I had ever seen it, and believe me, I’ve seen a lot. Glancing up at Evan and Brian, still guffawing away, I called, “Uh, guys? It’s kind of scary down there. Take a look.” Suddenly, the easygoing atmosphere had disappeared. As the sky gradually darkened even further, we huddled together in fear. And we weren’t the only ones who’d noticed. Soon all the raindrops were in whispering clumps, and fear was thick in the cloud. Increasing our fear to panic, we started spinning.

“I don’t feel good,” Brian moaned, and in truth, he did look a little green. I wasn’t feeling great myself, so I closed my eyes and told him to do the same, because I’d heard it was good for motion-sickness. My eyes weren’t closed for long. When I felt the wind rush past me in an entirely different direction, I whipped them open. Sure enough, we were in free fall. This was always my least favourite part, and it was made considerably worse by the intensity of the storm. I let out a scream of terror, but realized no one could hear me, or cared. That was when I remembered my friends.

“Brian? Evan?” I called for them in the crowded sky.

My search didn’t distract me for long, as when I looked below me, I realized we were over land now! I allowed myself a few more screams of fear before I began searching for a nice place to land. The destruction I saw below indicated we were in a hurricane.

“Great!” I complained. “Why couldn’t I fall in a nice shower over the ocean?” But it was not to be. The ground was terribly close now, and I could see it rushing up towards me. I squeezed my eyes shut and.... landed in the deepest puddle I’ve ever seen, and believe me, I’ve seen a lot (I know, I know, but it’s true). My landing was pretty soft, and I felt a sudden pity for the poor raindrops whose landings weren’t so soft. That train of thought reminded me of my best friends, Brian and Evan. Before I could call out, I saw a very large, solid-looking object coming towards me.

‘Sure, fall into a nice, soft puddle and then get squashed by a giant human,’ I thought. ‘That’s so ironic it’s not even funny.’

That was when the solid-looking object came into contact. I felt myself being flung into in the air, and only had time to decide it wasn’t that bad when I landed, splat, on the pavement.

“Ouch,” I whimpered. “Why can’t they leave me alone?”

Alone was the last thing I was likely to get, so I waited quietly for my chance to evaporate and become a raindrop once more, surrounded by laughter and friends.

windswift This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 28, 2010 at 6:16 pm:
thats kind of strange, but thats a good thing, strange means unique, and unique means that you are looking for something to call your own, keep looking for the unique, it will lead you to the path that you may eventualy take, will lead you to a better life, and will help you find something that you can truly call your own.

Cat_Art101 said...
That's really cute! So original! I never would've thought of writing a story about a raindrop. I love this!

Blood-of-Ink This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this! : )