Last Night This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I woke up with bags under my eyes and messed-up hair. Last night I was up too late. Last night I cried too hard. Last night I sat in the middle of the soccer field during the storm. The rain molded my hair into thick, dripping clumps and glued my clothes to my skin. Last night I made snow angels in the mud and painted my face with clay from under the bleachers.

Last night it was a year since you died.

Last night I sat where you used to sit; I cheered like you used to cheer for me. You never skipped a single game, but now you miss them all. Last night I sang Beatles songs at the top of my lungs as I ran past the ice cream shop we used to go to. Last night I went to your office building and let myself in with the hidden key you showed me. There’s somebody else’s name on your door now; I saw a different chair at the desk. They have forgotten you entirely.

Last night I skipped on the metal plates in the sidewalk and listened to the echoes, but you weren’t there to land harder and louder than me. Last night I walked past the zoo where you used to carry me on your shoulders so I could see the zebras. Last night I tried to bring you back, but all I got were bags under my eyes and lots of messed-up hair.

xAllegria said...
I love the descriptions, but I feel the story is a bit to clichéd.

Dawnheart said...
You are a great writer! It seems so real, I can see someone doing this. I love how you tie in the first sentence with the last one. Keep writing! :D

Writer4Life_21 said...
Oct. 3, 2010 at 11:07 am
This is a great piece. I like how you were totally honest with your feelings. Can't wait for more!

Krissy G. said...
This is an amazing piece. You took your feelings and placed them right into my heart. Can't wait for more!

Ashley Rogers said...
OMG That's so sad! It was very well written. It's very emotional. Keep at it! :)