Blindness Strikes! | Teen Ink

Blindness Strikes!

August 16, 2009
By WorldofD SILVER, Vadnais Heights, Minnesota
WorldofD SILVER, Vadnais Heights, Minnesota
9 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Chapter One




I walked out of the school building. My name is Sam Roster. Tomorrow was Halloween! I walked by Zack, who had been my lab partner in Chemistry.

“Hi, Sam. I thought you would’ve left by now.”

“Oh, I just grabbed some books I was missing,” I said while walking with Zack.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Bye.” Zack disappeared inside a car. Now it was the walk home. I felt so lonely. I only had two friends that were at school and I just talked to one of them. The other friend was on a vacation to Italy. As I walked, the wind swept against me. There were so many colorful leaves moving around in the wind. I wish I were one of those! I walked by an old shed and then I heard a strange noise. It sounded like an old person wailing. To my surprise, an old lady with a cane appeared next to me. “Excuse me, but why are you following me?”

“Who said that?!” the woman yelled. The woman was very old and looked like she might’ve died right there.

“Do you want me to help you miss?”

“No! Stay away! Leave this town before it’s too late! They’re coming!”

And then I realized she was blind.

“Wait! What do you mean?!” The woman had just disappeared like she appeared. “I wonder what any of this means,” I said to myself.

After a long time, I entered my house and went into the kitchen.

“Hello. How did school go today?” my mom said as I grabbed a cup.

“The same as usual. …I had Zack as my lab partner in Chemistry, though!”
“Oh, that’s nice but your aunt and uncle are coming here tonight.” This was so strange. She always listened to me when I talked to her.
Something was up.

I drank a cup of milk and looked confused. “Why are they coming?”

“They want to tell you about something.” My mom was always in on family matters and got right to the point.


After doing homework, I looked up and saw Aunt Mary and Uncle John. I ran over to them. “Hi.”

“Well, we’ve recognized you know a lot of blind people and we want to give you some advice.”

“What?! I don’t know any-!”

“Hey, there’s no need to be rude!” my mom said. I sat down on the couch. I didn’t understand what was going on today!

“I don’t know if you’ve noticed this, but something is going to happen.”

“What?” I asked.

“You’ll see. Just don’t go to sleep tonight and drink lots of coffee and pop to stay awake. That’s all we have to say,” Uncle John said and then they got up.
What was going to happen?! What if I did sleep?









Chapter Two



I walked into my room and picked up the phone. I hadn’t heard from Alex for a while. He was the friend that was in Italy. “Hello. Can I speak with Alex? This is Sam …Roster.”

“I’ll get him for you.” I looked inside my closet and cleaned up. The phone was quiet for about ten minutes.

“Hello. Is anyone there?”

“I’m sorry, but your friend has gone missing. I don’t know where he went.”

“But you said you were going to get him!” The phone hung up and I set it back in its receiver. I sat in my bed.
Something was really wrong with today! I put away some clothes that were piled on the bed. My mom walked inside the room. “Can you please tell me what’s going on?!”
“I don’t get you. I thought you knew about this.” My mom walked out of the room with a pair of glasses that I had never seen before.
“Wait!” The door slammed shut behind her. I walked over to the door and it didn’t open.

Suddenly, it opened while I pushed on it. The hallway was dark. I walked into the living room and sat down. It was already dark outside. I always felt so comfortable in the living room and now I wanted to get out of here. I walked into the kitchen. “Mom? …Where did you go?” I walked over to the fridge and read the note. It said, “I left to Canada because they’re coming. Do not let the bed bugs bite!” I threw the note in the garbage. So just left with no warning?! I opened up the fridge and took out a piece of cake. It was delicious. I walked into the living room again and turned on the TV. The news was on.

“Hello, America and this is breaking news.” It showed an airplane that was crashed into a rock. A person walked out of the plane, but looked poisoned and all bloody. The person made really strange noises. “So, don’t-.” I turned off the TV and finished the cake. I walked into the kitchen and threw the plate out.
I didn’t understand why that plane crashed and what was with that person? I suddenly felt tired and walked inside my bedroom. I fell asleep forgetting what my aunt and uncle said.














Chapter Three



I woke up and looked outside the window. It was still dark outside. I got up and looked at the clock. It said 12:00 AM. That couldn’t be right. It was too dark for that time. I suddenly heard the doorbell ring. “Who would that be?” I really wanted it to be my mom or dad! My dad had gone off to a business trip. I walked over to the door and saw it was Zack. “Zack, why are you here?”

“We have to leave here!” Zack said fast.

“Please tell me what’s going on!” I heard a strange noise behind me. It sounded like a door opening. I turned around and saw a strange sight.

I was a blind person who looked like the one on the TV. “Oh my god! Let’s go!” I yelled and we ran out of my house. It was kind of foggy also outside.

“Well, the world has become blind from sleeping. And these blind people aren’t normal!”

“Can we just jump inside one of these buildings?”

“Okay, but I don’t know if this is the right place to go to.” We jumped inside a gray building and went into a cubicle. Zack grabbed a phone that was sitting on the desk. “We’d better call for help.” I grabbed the phone and dialed Alex’s number.

“Hello. I need to talk with Alex immediately!”

“Alex?” Zack said.

“Hi. I woke up and I was blind. Where’d the phone go?” his voice trailed off and I heard a breaking phone.

“He’s blind.” Zack looked for a pen and a notepad.

“We need to make a map of the escape route of here,” he said quietly as he heard something fall over in front of them. We ducked down quickly and looked out the doorway. It was the just the wind because then I heard silence.

“I slept right before you came and I didn’t turn blind.” Zack looked surprised and looked at me.

“We need to go to the bathroom to make sure there’s nothing on you.” We got up quickly and ran across a hall. The only light that was flickering in the hallway was the restroom sign. I went inside and looked inside the mirror. I could see some strange green goop in my eye. Zack quickly grabbed a paper towel and made it wet. I grabbed it and wiped my eyes.

“So, I guess I know blind people now. We’re the only ones left, aren’t we?”

“I don’t know. We’ll just have to find out.” Zack went inside one of the stalls.

“What are you doing?!” I asked while wiping.

“I have to go to the bathroom. What’s wrong with that?”

“Nothing.” I took the paper towel away from my eyes. I looked over and saw that the door was opened. “Zack? Why is the door opened?” I asked terrified. A bunch of stall doors opened and blind people filed out. I ran inside the stall Zack was in.

“Um. Privacy?” I looked around and then found a window. I pulled the curtain off silently and opened the window. Zack zipped up his pants and a stall fell off its hinges. I jumped through the window after Zack and we bolted over to the sidewalk. “We need to get coffee and find other survivors!” We ran past a bunch of dark buildings until we came across that blind lady’s house.

“Oh my god! Let’s go inside.” We ran inside and heard the television on. We walked into the room and no one was sitting on the chair. I looked at the TV and I saw that the news was in a different place. It looked like it was in a cellar. The TV suddenly turned off and a door creaked open.









Chapter Four



To my relief, it was the blind woman. She looked terrified. She was hiding in a closet.

“Who’s there?” she said quietly.

“It’s me, Sam. The boy that you told to leave this place. You’re right!” The woman smiled and walked over to me.

“Can you guide me out of here? We need to find a safe place and also find survivors.” Zack opened the door and held it open. We walked back outside and Zack closed the door. I thought I heard a scream, but I think that was just my imagination. We walked across the empty park. Everything looked so creepy in the fog. Suddenly, an arm came right out of a bush and grabbed the woman’s leg. She screamed and then a bunch more arms came out of the bushes. Zack and I pulled her out and we ran into the gazebo. There was a rocking chair and two benches inside. I set the lady on the rocking chair and Zack and I sat on a bench.

“What is your name?” I asked a little embarrassed.

“My name is Cynthia James.” She sat in the rocking chair awkwardly. “I always see all those people with those dogs that guide them, but I never have enough money.”

“I can lend you some money after this crisis is over, but I don’t know if it’ll ever end!” Zack was looking down at a cut on his leg. “What happened there?”

“I cut my leg when I went out the window. I thought I wasn’t going to make it.” Zack pulled out a six-pack of pop out of his bag. “This will help, but we still need coffee. We all opened our cans and it echoed loudly.

“Oh no!” A bunch of windows broke open and bodies jumped inside. I grabbed Cynthia and we ran out of the gazebo. I realized we had spilled pop everywhere. There was a trail leading straight to us. All of the blind people came closer and closer.

“Here’s some food!” I suddenly heard far away. All of the people turned around and ran the other way. Whoever that was just saved our lives!


We ran across the path and saw that it was a man. He had raw meat in his hands. I hoped he didn’t become one of them! He threw the meat into the pond and they all ran into the pond. “Now, we should run!” We ran out of the park and down a road I had never seen before. But it was probably because it was dark and foggy.

“Thank you so much! You saved our lives! How can we ever repay you?” Cynthia asked.

“You don’t need to. I save lives. A bunch at a time.” We ran into a movie theater and sat on one of the chairs.

“What is your name,” Zack asked.

“William Henry.”

“Wait! Aren’t you that guy on those-?”

“Yeah. I am famous. But the whole rest of the world is blind people. You’re even blind.”

“But I’m not evil.” I looked out the open door and saw the Exit sign shining dimly. We sat there for a long time. I almost fell asleep, but then something grabbed me.









Chapter Five




It was a girl’s hand. A girl came out from behind a chair. I all of a sudden realized that this theater had been trashed.

“Yes! I’ve finally found survivors!” the girl was limping over to us. “I had been looking for survivors for hours. It all started when my brother broke my door open and he came in with this evil look on his face. You probably want to know who I am. Don’t you?” she said.

“What is your name?” William asked opening up his professional backpack. He had a giant cup of Starbucks coffee.

“My name is Rose.” I could see why that was her name. She was beautiful but she had black hair.

“Drink some of this. We need energy.” William gave the cup to me and I took a sip. I suddenly felt like I could run out the door right now. Everyone else took a sip. “We need to also find a safe place where there wouldn’t be any of these people.”

“What about here?” Rose asked.

“Haven’t you seen people fall asleep in movies?” Zack asked. Rose looked confused and got up and limped over to the hallway.

“We can go down this hallway.” Rose looked over and noticed Cynthia. “Grandma!” Jane ran over and hugged her.

“Oh, it’s nice to see you.” I just realized that she was actually a nice woman. Before, she was helping me. I smiled at Zack.

“We are going to find a safe place, someday.” I hoped my mom was alright in Canada. I didn’t know her cell-phone number, though. We soon walked out of the empty theater. I helped Rose walk and Zack helped Cynthia. William led the way. We kept walking down a long road, trying to find safety.

William was all set with the walk. He had hiking boots and a nice backpack. The road was one of the darkest places I had ever seen. There must’ve been trees everywhere! I thought I felt something grab my leg, but it was a branch. We were definitely walking through a forest.
“I think we should go back. It seems too unsafe here,” Rose said and I noticed she was walking next to me. We walked on and on. Finally, we found a deserted house.
“This looks like a safe place.” We walked inside. It was actually quite a big house. There was a giant foyer when we entered. We walked up the stairs and into a hallway.
“This does look safe!” I said seeing how comfortable it looked.
“You do know that we’re in the middle of a forest. No one should come here. We should-,” Zack got cut off by a bunch of glass shattering.
“What was that?” Rose asked quietly. We could see a silhouette down the hall near a window. We stood there silent, but the silhouette got closer and closer.

To our relief, it was another survivor. It was a girl.

“Did I interrupt you?” the girl asked. Zack smiled and I realized who it was. It was a girl that Zack had met last year. She was the new girl.

“Carrie!”

“Zack!”

“Is it okay if we just catch up on things?” Zack asked.

“Yes.”

“We’re just going into the other room.” They walked over to a door and walked inside. They kissed as they went in.

I couldn’t believe they would do that!

“So, what is our plan?” Rose asked. I don’t know why, but I wanted to kiss those lips. I turned around and looked into the room.
“Why are you spying on them?” Cynthia asked. I turned red. They were on the bed inside, but there were two windows opened inside!









Chapter Six




“Get out of here!” I yelled. Zack got up.

“Are you crazy?!” I pointed at the opened windows. Zack looked scared and he ran over and closed them.

“We need to get out of this room. It’s unsafe.” Zack and Carrie walked out of the room. I closed the door and locked it. That was strange that you could lock the person inside. It was handy though! I didn’t like that Carrie was here. I didn’t like her. We walked down the stairs and into another hallway. There were a bunch of rooms down here. We walked inside one of the rooms. There was only one window and it was closed. We sat down in a circle on the ground.

“I have to go to the bathroom.” Carrie walked out of the room. I sat facing the window. I could see if anything happened.

“So, I think we are going to survive here.”

“We should call for help pretty soon,” Zack said picking at the floorboards.

“I think that we should sleep here and venture north to get away from it all,” Rose said. I grabbed some gauze and wrapped it around Rose’s leg. “Thanks.” All of a sudden I heard a creak.

“What was that?” Zack said extremely quietly. I was terrified. I looked over and the window was opened. A girl was climbing inside with her hair covering her face. She was extremely dirty. I did the quiet symbol and I ran quietly over to the window. I quietly closed the window. Rose screamed as she turned around. The girl started to run fast. We all ran out of the room and closed the door behind us.

Where was the bathroom? We ran down another foyer and I saw an opened door with a light on. We walked inside and saw something horrible.

Carrie was lying on the ground with green goop over her face. We all quickly wiped it off but then we saw her eyes were red and she started to get up. We ran out of the bathroom and shut the door. We had two people chasing us in this house! We ran into the kitchen and I looked at my arm. It had some of the green goop on it. I washed my hand. Inside the drain, one of Carrie’s eyes was sitting there.









Chapter Seven






I didn’t know what to do. I looked away from the sink and then I saw Rose drop to the ground. The eye was not normal. It was like the mythological character, Medusa. We all ran over to Rose and I saw that she was frozen. We quietly carried her out of the kitchen and I heard a sick ooze that must’ve been the eyeball going down the drain. We walked into another random room and then we heard a bunch of banging. It sounded it was coming from outside. Yes, people to save us! We walked into the foyer and saw a horrible sight.

There were a bunch of deformed blind people that were feeling on the glass. They had found us. How did they find us? Rose had unfroze and we set her on the ground. She was shaking. William was taking something out of his backpack. It was a cell-phone. All of a sudden the cell-phone started to ring. All of the windows broke and the blind people ran inside. The chandelier fell on the ground and shattered behind us. We ran at full speed and ran into a closet that was near the edge of the foyer.

“We need to call for help!” Rose said quietly. William picked up the cell-phone and dialed 911. I peeked out a crack in the door. There was a bunch of wind coming from the broken windows. I didn’t get why it was so windy. I heard a door slam.

“Hello. We need you to fly over to a house in the middle of a forest that is in Boston, Massachusetts,” William said and soon hung up. I slowly opened the door when he put it back in his bag. I saw all of the pieces of glass from the chandelier. I saw all of the trees moving. We walked up the stairs slowly. We didn’t know where the people went at all. Zack kept looking back to see if anything popped up. I walked with Cynthia and then we saw a group of blind people. They suddenly turned around when one of the floorboards creaked. They all started running and I wacked a bunch of them with a pipe that I found in the closet. They fell down but then got back up again.

“Is there some kind of way that leads to the roof?” Zack asked and then William grabbed a lever that was on the ground and some stairs fell down. You could see the attic up above. All of a sudden, William fell down onto the floor asleep. I grabbed his backpack and we went up into the attic without him. Now we had no leader!









Chapter Eight




The attic was pretty dark but we found a light bulb. There were a bunch of boxes of things that had never been opened. I all of a sudden saw a few people walking down the hall and I quickly closed the trapdoor. We looked around. Cynthia felt around.

“We must be in the attic of this house.” I moved away some boxes and then found a ladder that went up higher.

This must be pretty high of the ground!

“I think we might actually get rescued!” Rose said cheerfully and then a silhouette moved right next to us and we all ran up the ladder and walked around on the top of the building. I could see the ground way below and tried to not go near it. I heard a strange noise and Zack pushed off a blind person. We stood there for a while until a helicopter came down and we cheered. We were so happy that we were saved! We sat down inside and we were all squished.

“I didn’t know there were so many of you!” the driver said starting to go up. We looked down at where we all used to live and I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

“What’s wrong?” Rose asked.

“I just hate that I’m leaving here. I had been here like forever.”

“So, safety is in Canada. This’ll be a long ride!” We flew past a bunch of dark clouds. I almost fell asleep, but I took a sip of the coffee. I gave it to everyone else except the driver. I knew he would’ve drank a lot of coffee before! I looked inside at the other stuff that was inside the pack. I saw his ID for his adventures. That was so horrible that he had to become one of them! One of my friends had become one of them also! I saw that there was a whip inside.

I wonder why he didn’t use that before. I just wanted to get to Canada and see my mom and maybe this’ll all stop. I looked over at Rose. She had been so infinite with ideas. I looked at Zack. He had been a friend and helped me. I looked at Cynthia. She had used her senses wisely and taught us things. And then I thought about what people would think of me after all of this ended. I would be a hero! All of a sudden, I noticed the helicopter was going down. The driver was asleep!









Chapter Nine



We had to throw him off the helicopter. Me and Zack grabbed the driver and threw him out the opened window. He fell down into a bunch of trees. Zack sat in the driver’s seat.

“I don’t know how to drive this thing!” Rose knocked Zack over and the helicopter made a sharp turn. She sat down and looked at the compass.

“We’re traveling the wrong way.” Rose had guided the helicopter the right way and started going forward. I grabbed a manual that was sitting on the ground and read about how to power the helicopter. A bunch of it was in Spanish, but I managed to find the English part. It said to hold the level and pedal. Rose was doing just that, but it was still going downward.

“No! Why is it doing this?!” I looked at all of the levers and pulled a random one. Nothing happened. Suddenly the roof flew off and we felt a bunch of strong winds. Cynthia started to fly away. I grabbed her hand and put the seatbelt on her. We all put our seatbelts on and Rose kept trying to get the helicopter to go up. The helicopter kept going down and down and right into darkness.

I looked around and I was still alive and so was everyone else. “Where are we?” I asked looking around at all of the trees. They looked like they were all going to come right out of the ground! This had been such a terrible adventure, but I didn’t think we were going to make it. I grabbed the giant coffee and saw that it was empty. “We might as well just die here!” Suddenly a bunch of people came out from behind trees and we ran through the forest. We ran until I couldn’t hear any more footsteps.

“We’re definitely not in Canada!” Zack said and then we walked over to an old truck that had a bunch of leaves on it. We brushed off the leaves and got into it. There were a bunch of scratches all over the seats. Rose sat in the driver’s seat and I sat in the passenger. Rose drove right out of the forest and onto a dirt road. It led across a strange looking cliff. Rose kept looking at the compass. I almost fell asleep again, but Zack slapped me.

“Thanks.” Zack looked confused and looked out the window. Rose drove past a sign that said “Welcome to Maine”, but it was facing the other way. “Yes! We’re in Canada!” Rose stopped the truck, but then saw a bunch of blind people walking towards the truck. The car smashed through a bunch of them and blood spattered on the windshield. Rose drove right through a building when a tree flew through the air.

“What the heck is going on here?!” Rose said and then I heard a tire pop.









Chapter Ten




We all slowly got out of the truck. I saw all the damage it did on the building. We started to walk out of the giant opening.

“Rose? Where are we?” Cynthia said shaky. “Is that you?” We turned around and saw that Cynthia was standing near a blind person. The blind person screamed and Cynthia ran right into the truck. Rose ran back and grabbed her. The blind person started to grab at her and then I saw below where we had crashed, a bunch of blind people were coming out from the ground. I ran over and tried to help, but Cynthia fell into the ditch way down below.

“No!” Rose said crying. I grabbed Rose and hugged her.

“We just need to get out of here.” Zack looked over at the popped tire and we left that building as a wreck.

We walked past that whole area and then we came to another forest.

“And here’s another one,” Zack said smiling. We kept walking until we saw a giant fence rising above all of the trees.

“Here we are! Canada!” We all cheered. A strange electronic machine moved around us and then the door opened. We saw a beautiful city with bright lights. As soon as we entered, we got splashed by coffee. I didn’t get how that helped us.

“Hey!” Rose glared at the people who were doing that. My mom ran over to me and hugged me.

“You made it!” My mom looked over and saw Rose. “Who is this?”

“She’s another rescuer. Actually there were four rescuers we found, but three became the blind.”

“This has been so horrible! I’m so sorry that I left you at home all by yourself.”

“It’s okay. We made it!” Rose smiled and then tears rolled down her eyes.

“I let my grandmother die in that ditch!”

“No you didn’t. We had just crashed into the wrong building.” My mom looked hopefully at Rose.

“You’re going to make it. We’ll try to find your parents.” My mom walked off with Rose. I looked over at Zack.

“We’ve all lost someone. I lost one of my friends. You lost Carrie.” I walked with Zack over to the table and we almost got to the coffee. Suddenly we fell to the ground and fell asleep.

I woke up with no goop on my face and I looked around. My mom was holding my hand.

“It’s all over and all of the blind people have disappeared!” Everyone cheered. I walked over to my mom’s car and got inside.

“Mom, can I call Alex just to see if he’s okay?”

“Sure.” My mom took out the phone and gave it to me. I dialed his number.

“Hello? Is anyone there?” I heard a weird noise and then buzzing. Something terrible was going on in Europe! I smiled at the long drive ahead!