The Great Loss: A Scene This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dedicated to Gilda Radnor

It is night. There is a hospital bed in the center of an empty room. There are no sheets on the bed. There is a window at stage left. A young girl slowly turns around and stares with a look of shock and disbelief around the room. She slowly walks over to the bed and falls to her knees, weak and depressed. She begins to cry quietly. Finally, she gets up enough strength to bring herself to her feet and walks about the room sniffling.

GIRL: How are you? Are you O.K.? Where are you? Are you in pain? (The girl breaks down on the word "pain".)

(Getting herself back together) Um ...today ...I ...went back to school. I ...it was ...it was really hard. The kids all looked at me like I was from Mars or something. They don't understand. I ...really did try; tried to pay attention to the teachers, but ...but all I could think of was you. I remember ...when ... we used to go up to our house at the lake and how we used to sit on the dock and watch the sun set into the trees; and we'd make up silly stories about where the sun goes when it sets. I really miss that. And then I just feel even more sad because I know it will never be like that again. (Taking in a big sniffle and wiping away a tear with her fist)

(She says in a shaky voice, her eyes filling with tears.) I kept thinking that you were going to get better; kept thinking ...this is going to be the last operation and then they were going to say that you were O.K. again. I mean ...your hair was all growing back ...and you were eating real food ...and you weren't throwing up or anything. And you didn't need those needles in your arms all the time.

(She sobs again, sort of a helpless frustrated sobbing.) God ...why did you do it? Why did she have to suffer so much pain? She never did anything wrong. And even if she had, no one would have to go through what she did. All the ...blood and needles and injections. And those awful tumors and the endless operations.

(Screeching in fury) You took the life away! You took it long before you took her! And I hate you for it! I hate you so much! (Bursts into tears) All I want is to have my mother back. Why didn't you take me instead? Why! Why not! Why not me! (Bursts into tears)

END SCENE.n

Jakethesnake said...
I really don't expect a reply since this was submitted and published in 1989,  but I wonder if I have ever read any books by you or watched a play that was written by you? You are an amazing writer and I would defiantly not be surprised if I had done any of the above things.

rubiesrrare said...
as a kid who has lost a great-aunt to cancer two years ago (three this feb.) and never met another grandfather because he died, this really hits a nerve. it's true not fake like most of the cancer-survivor tales that people try to write. thank you.

xcupcakesxbrokenheartx said...
Apr. 17, 2009 at 12:58 am
Wow. Powerful emotions. It's so sad!

Lore13 said...
That was incredible.