The Return to Nothing | Teen Ink

The Return to Nothing

By Kathryn2010 BRONZE, Baltimore, Ohio
Kathryn2010 BRONZE, Baltimore, Ohio

We are finally home! I still cannot believe that after eighteen long months in space, my husband Jack and I are home. We have not heard from civilization for so long because our radio was broken when we went through a field of meteor rocks. But none of that matters now that we’re home. When we landed we waited for the knock on the door telling us we could go out now, but none came.

“What do we do?” I asked impatiently.

“I am not sure. Let’s open the door and see what’s taking so long.” Jack answered. We opened the door and saw the problem, no one was out there.

“What do we do?” I inquired.

“We will have to get the rope ladder out of the supply closet and climb down,” he answered calmly. We got the ladder and began to climb down. When I finally touched the ground, I got a good look of the land. It was completely flat, covered with green grass, and the sky was bright and blue, but no one was in sight.

“Darling, where is everyone?” I asked.

“I am not sure. Let’s go look.” We started walking toward the closest town. When we got there, it was like a ghost town. We went into the stores and houses, but saw no one. It gave me an eerie feeling. I moved closer to Jack as he held me closer to him.

“What does if mean?” I cried.

“I don’t know, Sarah, I do not know,” I could hear the fear leak into his voice, something he did not want me to hear. “Maybe if we stole a car and go to a bigger town we can find someone and they can tell us what happened.”

“Steal a car?” I could feel my eyes get big with shock as I looked into Jack’s face. A whole new fear swept over me. Jack would never steal anything unless it was absolutely necessary.

“Everything will be alright, Sweetheart,” he lied. I could see it in his face that he was just as frightened as I was. We searched and found a black mustang; Jack always had a thing for mustangs, and we drove for what seemed like hours, but were in fact a couple of minutes. When we got out of the car the scene was the same as the last one.

“What do we do now?” I hoped he would know.

“We keep moving ‘til we find someone.” He sounded calm this time, but when I looked in his face, his eyes gave away his true feelings. We got back into the car and drove the rest of the day and all through the night, but everywhere we stopped it was the same. We finally pulled over into a small motel and found that yet again, it was left behind.

Instead of going back to the car like I thought Jack would, he went to the front desk and picked up a room key.

“We can’t stay here!” I shouted.

“And why not?” He smiled, “Now one else is using it.”

“Very funny,” I scolded him. “But what are we going to do about the whole no one around thing?”

“I know something we can do,” he smiled again.

“BE SERIOUS! How can you joke in a time like this?!” I yelled

“We’ll think about it in the morning, but let’s get some sleep for now.” With that said he led me to our room, but we didn’t sleep, if you know what I mean.

The next morning we were on the road again looking for any signs of life.

“What if we don’t find anything?” I whispered.

“We will. Don’t worry.” Another lie; but the sound of his voice made me forget about my worries. We traveled awhile until we were starving. We pulled into a grocery store, and found some food, which consisted of bologna sandwiches and water. The food was so simple, yet it tasted like heaven.

“I think we should just pick someplace and settle in. Obviously no one is here.” He said, taking another bite in his sandwich.

“We can’t just give up we need to keep searching there has to be…be…” I broke off into a sob.

“Honey everything will be alright. We aren’t giving up; we’ll keep looking, but we need some place to live. And until we find civilization, I won’t let anything happen to you. I’ll keep you safe.” He wrapped his arms around me. We stood like that for awhile, until my sobs went away. I then lifted my head and he gently brushed the tears that remained on my face.

“I don’t know what I’d do without you,” I kissed him.

“I love you,” he whispered. “We better pick a place to live so we can get settled in.”

“Okay. Why don’t you pick.”

“Okay.” We got in the car yet again and drove around looking at houses. It only took a couple of minutes until Jack pulled up to a little white house, perfect for two. We went inside the house to look around. It was amazingly perfect for us, but at the same time it felt all wrong. It was cozy with a little fire place, colorful rooms, and big windows that lit up the room, but it also had the previous family’s portraits and possessions. Although I tried to ignore it, it made me feel like a thief, but we did need someplace to live. So after we agreed to the house we went upstairs and fell asleep.

We didn’t wake up until the next morning, so we ate breakfast, provided by the previous owners, and then we looked around to see if there were any clues to what happened to the people who once lived here. We did the same thing for weeks; wake us, look for clues, and go to bed, but everyday we came up with the same results and we had no clue where civilization could have gone. Jack and I eventually gave up and started working on getting our water, shopping for clothes, and finding food.

One night we ran out of food, so we went to the store in the city next to us. When we got there it was still dark out and it was beginning to fog. We go out of the car and walked into the store just like we would any other time. We took a lot of food supplies and we walked out of the store out into the parking lot, which was now completely foggy.

Jack began to load the car with the water, when I remembered I needed to get something, “I’ll be right back,” I promised. I walked into the store, so Jack wouldn’t notice, and got a pregnancy test. On the way back to our mustang I saw movement in the corner of my eye. I turned to see nothing. “Very funny Jack!” I yelled. “Let’s just go home!” But just then Jack started the car on the opposite side of the parking lot! I saw the movement again, this time I saw it was too fast to be a human or an animal, so I took off running. Although I didn’t look, I could feel it coming for me, so I pushed myself to run faster. That’s when I tripped and hit my head on the concrete.

I woke up in our bed with a major headache and no memory of what happened. I looked around trying to clear my blurry vision and focused on a figure sitting next to me on the bed. The figure was holding my hand in theirs and their lips were moving slowly. My vision cleared and I saw that the figure sitting next to me was Jack. It looked like he was talking to me, but I couldn’t hear him over the ringing in my ears.

“What?” I croaked. “I can’t hear you,” I said pointing to my ears. But I didn’t think he heard me because his lips were still moving. Eventually my hearing started coming back and I could hear Jack, but he wasn’t talking he was singing, my favorite song. I waited for him to finish the song, then I smiled at him and said, “Thank you.”

He smiled back and said, “You’re welcome.”

“What happened last night?”

“You fell.”

“I did?”

“Yeah you hit your head pretty hard. You had me worried.”

“Where were we?”

“The grocery store in…,” he trailed off when he saw my face, which probably looked terrified because I remembered what happen. “What? Is something wrong?”

“What happened to the thing chasing me?!”

He looked at me completely puzzled. “Sweetheart, nothing was chasing you.”

“Yes, there was! Did you not see it?!” I shrieked.

“No there was nothing there! There is nothing left on this planet, but you and me.” I could see the worry for me in his eyes and it pained me to see it, but I knew I was right.

“I am telling you the truth! Something is out there!”

After a moment of us glaring each other Jack changed the subject to avoid a fight, “That was an interesting product you went into the store to get,” he smiled.

“Well it is necessary to know,” I stated.

“Were you planning on telling me?” He asked.

“I don’t know! If you can’t believe me when I say I saw something, then how can we even think about raising a…a…In these circumstances! It wouldn’t be right!” I began to cry. He hugged me and tried to calm me, but I moved away from his touch.

“I’ll make you a deal. I’ll go to the city again and see if I can find your monster. If I can’t, stop this talk and we’ll keep living our lives as normal and if I do find it, we’ll think of something then. Okay?” He recommended.

Fear instantly took over and I crushed my body against his and held as tightly as I could. “NO!” I pleaded. “You can’t leave! No! I won’t allow it! I NEED you!”

“Darling,” he said as he took hold of my face and lifted it so I looked into his face. “I promise you I will come back.” He sounded so confident about it, but I had a bad felling in the pit of my stomach and the thought of him going alone made me want to get sick.

“You go, I go!”

“No, you need to rest. I’ll go and come back, before you can even miss me.” He smiled.

“But what if you don’t,” my voice cracked.

“I promise that I WILL come back, you have my word.”

“Please don’t go! I believe you! There was no monster! There’s only you and me! NOW PLEASE stay with me!”

“Honey, I can see in your eyes, you still have doubt.”

“You SWEAR you’ll come back?”

“YES, my love. I SWEAR!”

“I love you.”

“Love you too,” he said and he tenderly kissed my forehead as left the room.

“Be safe,” I prayed as I heard our front door open and close downstairs.
I was suppose to be resting, but my mind was too anxious, so I began to do little chores that needed to be done around the house. I did the laundry, washed the dishes, swept and mopped the floor, and dusted all the furniture. After all that I became exhausted and had to lay down for awhile. I went upstairs and collapsed on the bed and before I knew it I was asleep. When I woke up it was morning, so I got up and called for Jack, but no one answered. I looked everywhere, but I couldn’t find him. Grief quickly swept over me, I went over to the answering machine to see if he called saying he would be on his way or something like that. The machine said there was one unheard message, and my heart relaxed and smiled, and pressed the play button.
“Honey, you were worried for nothing, like normal. I’m on my way h…What the…” Then the line went dead. That’s when I knew he was gone and he wouldn’t be keeping his promise.
Nine months later I gave birth to twins, a baby boy and girl. I named them Jack and Hope. We are the only human survivors left on earth; at least that’s what we thought.

THE END