Introductions | Teen Ink

Introductions

“Hi, my name is Drew James. I don’t know why I’m here or why I need to be here” I said to the other members of my therapy group. Maybe I’m in denial but I don’t have a problem. My life is normal according to American standards. I have a lovely wife Eliza and a beautiful daughter.

“Hi, my name is Drew James. Last week life seemed to be going great. I took my family out to dinner, we were all getting along. But yesterday I snapped on Eliza. She asked me why I had been in a bad mood lately. Then, I hit her. You think I wanted to hit my wife? I want to be normal. Can I have a life of consistency? The only things I know that will ever be consistent are those pills I have to swallow every morning”.

“Hi, my name is Drew James, I need someone to blame”. Should I blame God? Ha, what God? Who would ever allow someone to experience this much turmoil? Will I be happy today? Is today the day I hurt my wife again? “I cannot keep riding this roller coaster”.

“Hi, my name is Drew James. Sorry I missed the meeting last week. I tried to O.D. on my medication”. When I was in the hospital I realized I need to accept who I am and get help. It’s time to make a change in my life.

“Hi, my name is Drew James and I am bipolar”.

on Jul. 14 2009 at 2:02 am
biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

wow, that is extremely heartwrenching and beautiful, i love it

trombonewriter BRONZE, New Glasgow, Other
Great story. It's true. Society has a problem with mental illness, and this can sometimes cause even those who are affected and who know they are affected to be in denial. The way you wrote this, as he realized who and what he really is and that he needs to accept it and begin to work with it, is just great. Keep writing!