Orangutans | Teen Ink

Orangutans

I had no tribe, no village; it was just me and the orangutans. I had there back and they had mine. I was not born in the wild. My mother was very poor and could not support me, so she sent me down a river in a basket hoping it would end like another story. Although this was a nefarious act I ended up on top. Some orangutans found me and I was just too darn cute to eat. Lucky for me these orangutans were astute and knew what they were doing.

They took me in as I was one of them. Teaching me all I needed to know to survive in the jungle and someday in the real world. They taught me how to handle the scrutiny from other orangutans. Soon the scrutiny was ineffectual to the others because I did not let it affect me. This would be important later in life.

There was the one orangutan that I grew quite fond of. She was vexatious but amicable at the same time and that's what I liked about her. I soon realized that liking a orangutan was completely unreasonable and that I must find a human. My attempt at finding a human was soliciting at different camp sites for women. This surprisingly worked we fell madly in love. Mind you I was still thirteen at this time. She came down with a terrible malady that she had caught in the jungle. She was rushed back to the United States. At first I loathed of going to the U.S. but realized I must see her again. I bid my farewell to all who raised me, but I knew I could not stay in the jungle forever. When I arrived in the U.S. I found my girl immediately. It turned out she already had a new boyfriend I was shocked. I tried to advocate to her how important our relationship was to me. She wouldn't have it, and it was over like that. I was crushed by young love. I had no other choice but to start a new life. I decided to enroll in school.