Never Bite The Hand That Feeds You | Teen Ink

Never Bite The Hand That Feeds You

March 11, 2024
By elinovy SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
elinovy SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Do you ever wonder why cicadas have to sleep for so long before they come out? Well, there is a story behind why…


In ancient times, the Greek god of insects Tithonus struggled to keep his children (Cicadas) alive. They were never able to grow up strong enough to defend themselves, and Tithonus needed help figuring out what to do. 


Tithonus, who was once a mortal, went to the man upstairs, who then granted him his god-like powers–Zeus. Zeus is not happy when bothered; however, he was very understanding as to why Tithonus was worrying about his children and why he came for help. Fortunately for Tithonus, Zeus agreed to help his kids rest, become strong, and continue to grow; but with a cost of time and love… 


For this agreement to work, Tithonus’s kids have to rest underground for two-seventeen years. They would need to live and congregate together before arising too early into the upstairs world. Zeus wanted not only Tithonus to learn the consequences of mercy but his children as well. So as Tithonus and his children were happy to have the ability to live, they had the consequences of losing everything they had so far: lovers, friends, and homes. Tithonus loses his one and only lover Eos, also the reason he has god-like powers. Him stumbling upon her was a blessing and a curse for Tithonus… The Cicadas must sacrifice their lives upstairs, for the solitude and safety downstairs. Something that neither Tithonus nor his children saw as having a negative outcome. Naive traits can attract the worst karma…


This is why we should never bite the hand that feeds us. Had Tithonus just put faith in Zeus and his plans for future weather and hibernation patterns for Tithonus’s children, they wouldn’t have to suffer to this day. Tithonus not only didn’t understand what plan Zeus had in mind for him, but he also was very demanding with Zeus. Zeus, god of the sky, did not like Tithonus’s attitude towards him; subsequently, giving him a “blessing” disguised as a curse. Tithonus would also have been able to keep his lover, but now he has to watch her move on without him, all because he wants a problem fixed. Zeus feeling betrayed after Tithonus asked for more, sentenced him to something he wished never happened. Now Tithonus has to bear the punishment with his children, and now his children are scared of the upstairs. A huge price to pay just for a little salvation…


The author's comments:

This piece is about Greek gods and the drama that they endured creating valuable life lessons for us humans...