What Lies Beneath | Teen Ink

What Lies Beneath

February 15, 2024
By RedEnderSlayer SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
RedEnderSlayer SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

From the peak of the mountain as far as the eye could see, like a white blanket covering the sky the storm clouds lie dormant. The brilliant golden sun’s rays of light enveloped by the warm sky. I stood, struck by its beauty as the sun lay resting on the clouds, a line of violet splendor and its spectrum of all encompassing light. I wished to stay here forever, its calm radiance and silent breeze only lasting a moment, and as I plunged its solitude left me.

The warm sky morphing to the bitter cold beneath, and darkness swallowing the world with the storm's lightning being the only thing to push it back. I saw nothing as I fell, but the rain's numbing touch being the only thing I could feel and the roaring thunder the only thing I could hear. 


Soon the world went silent, I felt suspended, weightless. Had I made it? No, it was cold… so very cold, and yet I was calm. No light, no thunder, nothing, just the quiet cold and my thoughts. I was tired, my body weak, and as I lay there the calm, quiet, and gentle cold took me, I was at peace.